Minutes of Silver meeting of 1 June 2018

Formatted version of minutes:

Text version of the minutes:


       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                  Silver Community Group Teleconference

01 Jun 2018


           jeanne, LuisG, kirkwood

           Shawn, Charles, Jennison, Jan, Shari




      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]TPAC
          2. [4]Requirements document and "disabilities" definition
          3. [5]Project plan
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      * [7]Summary of Resolutions

    <jeanne> [8]https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

       [8] https://rawgit.com/w3c/silver/master/requirements/

    <scribe> Scribe: LuisG

    <jeanne> The earlier link wasn't right. LEt's try this one: <-

       [9] https://rawgit.com/jspellman/silver/master/requirements/

    Jeanne: Here are some of the things I did. Put an email into
    the first paragraph.
    ... the important thing I did was in the first paragraph of
    introduction, I thought a lot about the definition of
    accessibility and would really like to defer the issue
    ... maybe when we get into the content, but not necessarily for
    the requirements.

    <jeanne> People with disabilities can face problems using
    online content and applications. Disabilities can be permanent,
    temporary, or situational. Most of the requirements in Silver
    prioritize the needs of permanent disabilities, but the
    requirements can also apply to temporary or situational

    Angela: What about situational limitations rather than
    situational disabilities.

    Jeanne: Also did a major rearranging of the sections. I put the
    problem statements first, then design principles, and then the
    ... I also added the change log. So that we could tell what's
    been updated when.
    ... There is probably a better or more formal structure to use,
    and I'm fine changing it if someone wants to give feedback.
    ... I will take an action item to update the requirements for
    changes from this meeting.

    <trackbot> Error finding 'item'. You can review and register
    nicknames at

      [10] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users

    <jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to update the requirements with changes
    from 1 June meeting

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-183 - Update the requirements with
    changes from 1 june meeting [on Jeanne F Spellman - due

    Jeanne: we discussed pushing back the presentation to working
    group to June 12; originally June 5, but I heard back that
    that's the M Enabling Summit and will likely be cancelling, so
    they want to put it off until the 19th
    ... I think we can make sure we have it ready for June 5

    LuisG: I can help out a little with prep stuff for June 5

    Jeanne: How good are you with Github?

    LuisG: I can try helping out with the issues.

    Jeanne: Cool. I'm going to be working next week to iron out a
    lot of the Github issues I've been having. Once I get it worked
    out, I'll document my findings to avoid frustration for others
    in the future.


    <jeanne> TPAC Overview <-

      [11] https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html

    Jeanne: The first thing is...here is the TPAC overview.
    ... hopefully you can get your company to pay for you. It's
    October 22 and 23
    ... It will be in Lyon, France
    ... it includes a link to the hotels

    <jeanne> TPAC Schedule <-

      [12] https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/schedule.html

    Jeanne: and the TPAC schedule page has good news. We have two
    full days of meeting.
    ... We have Monday and Tuesday. If you can, I would recommend
    staying for Wednesday the 24th. That's when they have the
    actual technical plenery and that's a day of dozens of breakout
    sessions of really interesting technologies. We will also do a
    breakout session.
    ... for the last two years, Shawn and I have done a session on
    Wednesday with standing room only audiences.
    ... any questions about TPAC?
    ... lots of people can come. It's really a very exciting week.

Requirements document and "disabilities" definition

Project plan

    <jeanne> Project Plan <-

      [13] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p-8-v-XqRllBaX_eTiXXvyyDYeft8GRiN3_11V3U0w/edit#gid=0

    Jeanne: Here's the project plan
    ... I did some updates last week. I put in some dates. Angela,
    of interest to you...I would like to get plain language test of
    4 success criteria done by June 15th. that would give people
    two weeks to look at it.
    ... I also put that as the time to start working on the style
    guide which I expect will be a moving target as we learn
    things. but I think it would be helpful to start writing down
    the style decisions that we make as a result of testing the
    sample success criteria
    ... Kim Patch one of the chairs of the mobile accessibility
    taskforce is interested in helping with our styleguide
    ... the Github APIs. Angela, did you talk to MSDN team?

    Angela: A contact I had referred me to someone that was too new
    to know. I have to follow up with her again about someone more
    seasoned. I'll do that today.

    Jeanne: I also have a draft to Wendy to get her perspective.
    Ideally we'd like someone at MS to say "sure, here's the code"
    or "I'll adapt the code for you"
    ... that way we could make it easier for anyone to comment on
    our documents.

    LuisG: Would it be too forward to ask for the code or to adapt
    it for us?

    Angela: We could.

    Jeanne: I could go to Jenny for that, but I think we could do
    ... it may not work, but who knows.

    LuisG: Given what they've been doing in accessibility, I would
    expect them to want to help out.

    Jeanne: For the status update, that's all complete for whatever
    we can do right now. For ID24 in OCt, we'll do something else
    ... plain language, I think we're up to date with.
    ... homepage and naming and tagging are waiting on information
    ... on the prototype design section, which is where we're
    putting anything that doesn't fall under information
    architecture or plain language, I have a draft of the
    conformance model

    <jeanne> Conformance Prototype:

      [14] https://rawgit.com/jspellman/silver/master/prototypes/ConformancePrototype.html

    Jeanne: this doesn't have any changes from earlier this week.
    ... we didn't talk about it in any detail, so we could talk
    about this right now.
    ... Since this is a small attendance meeting, do you want to be
    done, or talk about this, or talk about something else?
    ... if anyone wants to drop off, feel free
    ... in the intro section, I have a quick paragraph about the
    research we did as a problem statement

    <jeanne> The research done in 2017-2018 by the Silver Task
    Force, the Silver Community Group, and the research partners
    was used to identify the key problem statements in the area of
    conformance. See the Silver Research Summary slides for more
    detailed information. The Problem Statements related to
    conformance are summarized below. See the Silver Problem
    Statements wiki page for the complete problem

    <jeanne> statements.

    Jeanne: for the problem statements, I summarized them into one
    paragraph for each problem statement
    ... any comments or suggestion on those?
    ... next section of suggestions from design sprint is a
    copy/paste of that information
    ... after 11, I started introducing the prototype but it
    doesn't have a heading, so it might be easily overlooked
    ... it might need a heading to be more understandable. this is
    where I started writing...everything before was basically
    copy/paste of what was in previous documents
    ... so we have three areas of how we're going to address these.
    because they're all related, but they all go into how we
    measure overall, individual, and accessibility conformance
    ... let's talk about overall conformance because this is
    probably the most complicated one.
    ... The first paragraph how we came up with looking for
    inspiration from the LEED certification for green buildling
    ... it came from a lawyer that used to work for office of civil
    rights....in a different research project. She suggest we look
    at that for a better way of measuring conformance in Silver.
    One of the things she said was that it already is accepted in a
    regulatory environment.
    ... Even if we bring out silver in 2020 or 2021 and we're not
    addressing some new product that's come out, what we can do is
    create a new conformance model for that new thing.
    ... As an example, there are a lot of requirements for text in
    WCAG 2.0; and likely in silver. If we were going to start
    writing guidance for home assistance which don't use text,
    instead of saying not everything in silver applies to the new
    product, we could have a new point system that applies to home
    ... it allows us to have different things for different
    products. point system for small static sites and another for
    big social media sites
    ... WCAG is really one size fits all, but we'd be able to
    customize silver using this kind of system.

    LuisG: An issue I would expect to see from this approach is
    site publishers trying to meet one set of requirements, say for
    small static sites, instead of for what their site actually is.

    Jeanne: The points system allows us to prioritize and give
    incentives to individual guidance without having to assign it
    to a level. So people may want to say "I'd like to do this
    accessible authentication for users with cognitive disabilities
    because it gives me a lot of points" instead of "this is AAA,
    so I don't have to do it"
    ... oh, we're at time.
    ... I'm definitely interested in peoples' ideas, please file
    github issue. And put "conformance" in the title so we know
    what it's about
    ... don't want to confuse it with the requirements issues

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update the requirements with changes
    from 1 June meeting

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Friday, 1 June 2018 19:53:45 UTC