From: Jeanne Spellman [mailto:jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 5:29 PM
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: Follow-up on conflicts between disabilities

I received the following email which I am posting to the list with permission.

Hi Jeanne:

In our last conference call, I suggested WCAG Silver consider addressing conflicts or clashes between the needs of people with various disabilities.  You asked for more explanation.  I hope this helps.

Universal design often starts with the premise that what one person needs is beneficial for others, even if they don't specifically need it (e.g. elevator for someone in wheelchair also helps someone with stroller, mobility impairment, older person, or someone who is tired or carrying something).

Sometimes groups of people with two different types of disabilities may also need the same thing for different reasons (e.g. verbal navigation can be helpful for those with visual impairment and those with some cognitive disabilities).

But it is not always the case that there is shared need or benefit. Sometimes the needs of one infringes on the accommodations of another.

The ones I've heard the most about in the brick-and-mortar world are:
-seeing eyed dogs vs dog allergies
-people with need for sound and those with need for silence (could be sight impairment vs some forms of autism, for example)
-people with mental health accommodations that conflict (compassion for people with unintentionally aggressive approaches vs those who are sensitive to that approach)
-need for renovations to accommodate one disability and the renovation process or result infringes on another person's disability (e.g. dust
allergies)

One of the first times this came to my attention in the digital world was in a discussion about creating fixed forms to make them easier for screen readers to interpret (in "accessible" PDFs).  In contrast, some with cognitive disabilities find forms difficult to process, and prefer to see simplified versions, and use sorting and other tools to personalize them where relevant and possible.

The sound example above from the brick-and-mortar world could of course also be relevant in a digital environment.  In that case, the optional sound and the Stop and hide criteria would help.

The key approaches that I've heard to deal with these conflicts includes:
-Recognizing that these conflicts exist and being attentive to them
-Providing accommodations for each separately where the needs diverge (separating experiences in time and/or space)
-Providing multiple options or customized approaches
-Understanding the conflict can happen on the side of the user as well as the creator or employee
-Ensuring that there is a mechanism in place so that when one is unable to accommodate a particular need due to necessary accommodations for another, that best effort is made, there is open-ended consultation, and a referral is made to ensure the needs get met well by another source
-Also understanding that someone may have both types of needs and this may overlap (e.g. someone might need a service animal but be allergic to dogs specifically, or have visual impairment and auditory sensitivity, or they might have dual diagnosis of cognitive disabilities and mental health condition), so these conflicts can be complex and layered.

Here's a link to illustrate the division of accommodation in time and space:

"Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility." From: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ada.gov_service-5Fanimals-5F2010.htm&d=DwIDaQ&c=4ZIZThykDLcoWk-GVjSLmy8-1Cr1I4FWIvbLFebwKgY&r=TNPSf5_s1C7GQN2fKXOGh6t05xN18F4fA5Kt3Nyy0IU&m=QZHLPNDNlNv8uu7J9ONj1wsuyutRlT4OYKEon6vpz0s&s=aD8MJKmMliDQePLcOhtz3yYHVw5-XOO9giv7u03Z5A4&e=

The best sources of this type of information are probably in the legal world.  It would be worth contacting a disability rights lawyer to ask them how their advice for dealing with conflicts could translate into the digital world.

Best, Cy.