Minutes of Silver meeting of 16 February 2018

Formatted version of minutes:

Text of minutes:

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                     Silver Task Force Teleconference

16 Feb 2018


           Charles, Jan, jeanne, Jennison, John, Kelsey

           Shawn, Jemma, Shari


           jeanne, JohnM


      * [2]Topics
          1. [3]research update (survey, interviews, data analysis)
          2. [4]Interviews
          3. [5]Conformance survey
          4. [6]Data Analysis of the Conference Audience responses
          5. [7]Report publication process
          6. [8]Design Sprint invitation update
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions

research update (survey, interviews, data analysis)

    <JohnM> David Sloan: The WCAG usability survey - I did some
    analysis which I shared with you all a couple of weeks ago. Did
    you want more thorough investigation?

    <JohnM> Jeanne: It was not easy to draw conclusions from the
    data. Can we get some plain language descriptions of the

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We would need to segment groups and
    compare data. What research questions would we like to try to
    answer from the data?

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We could split the results by each
    person's background.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: I could come up with a list of questions,
    and ask SurveyMonkey to give us only certain types of data, and
    compare them.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: Knowing what questions we have would be
    useful. We could do all sorts of things with the data.

    <JohnM> Jennison: We could do some group comparisons, based on
    job groupings.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: This will take some thought - there are 20
    different job categories.

    <JohnM> Jennison: Can we do the top 3? or even top 2?

    <JohnM> David Sloan: Yeah, we could do that.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We could group by years of experience in

    <JohnM> David Sloan: People with more than 10 years experience
    have shifted from one version of WCAG to another.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: Roughly 60% of respondents work full time
    in accessibility.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: So that leaves quite a few who don't.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: I'll work on that next week.

    <JohnM> Charles: I'd like to come up with some addition
    questions we have from the data.

    <JohnM> Charles: I'd to split it by success criteria level,
    because AAA seems to be the hardest to reach.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: And people have so little experience using it.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: OK, I'll add that to the list of things to
    do to the data.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: There must be studies out there in the
    world on which success criteria are not met.

    <JohnM> Charles: I think we'll find that not meeting colour
    contrast is common, and yet this survey shows it's easy to

    <JohnM> Kelsey: What is the report we're referring to right



    <JohnM> David Sloan: This is a study Sarah Horton did before
    Christmas on the usability of the WCAG 2 success criteria -
    learnability, teachability, and memorability.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: Could this be ready to share at the design

    <JohnM> David Sloan: Yes, that's the major objective.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: We wanted to get all our reports ready by March
    1st, at least in rough form?

    <JohnM> David Sloan: yes

    <JohnM> Jeanne: Conclusions of what we learned would be very

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We can certainly add it later.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: There could be an international version of the
    study later.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: That will be really helpful for our work in
    plain language.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: I'll work on the foreign language versions

    <JohnM> Jeanne: We'll need this data by end of April / Start of
    May when we do the requirements document.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We had also talked about an index tool. It
    could help the participants of the design sprint have access to
    all the work, a portal to all the different projects. It's a

    <JohnM> Jeanne: I've been calling it the TLDR project.

    <JohnM> David Sloan: A list of titles and research questions
    they intend to answer would be good. What were the deliverables
    from the research?

    <JohnM> David Sloan: We should adjust expectations. We wouldn't
    want design studios to dismiss it. So context would be hepful.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: We should put our analysis with the student
    research papers, for context, and to set expectations on the
    undergraduate work.


    <JohnM> Jeanne: Jan, how are the interviews?

    <JohnM> Jan: We can upload some results today, the rest have to
    be transcribed.

    <JohnM> Jan: Each person in the interviews had interesting
    comments, all had different pain points. All felt good about
    what they could accomplish, and were appreciative of the

    <JohnM> Jennison: One idea was to keep information in small
    chunks, to make it easier to update them.

    <JohnM> Jennison: Jan, we've done 13 interviews so far?

    <JohnM> Jan: Yes, and that's all we're doing.

    <JohnM> Jennison: Perfect.

Conformance survey

    <JohnM> Kelsey: The survey went out to 62 people we had from
    the previous list.

    <JohnM> Kelsey: I have 8 responses so far.

    <JohnM> Jeanne: The survey is collecting *no* personal data, so
    I think we can share it broadly.

    <JohnM> Charles: If you share the link, I will post it.

    <JohnM> Kelsey: The deadline for the survey is Feb 22nd.

    <JohnM> Kelsey: Please share it, I appreciate the help.

Data Analysis of the Conference Audience responses

    <jeanne> Scribe: jeanne

    John: Kelsey, Jeanne and I met and planned out the results. We
    will have bar chart of some of the results. We will be working
    on that this weekend.
    ... Jeanne is writing the introduction
    ... Kelsey is working on the data analysis - drawing

    <scribe> scribe: JohnM

    Jeanne: We have 2 different data analysis that Shari is working
    on. I'm working on data analysis from the interviews.

Report publication process


      [12] https://www.w3.org/community/silver/stakeholder-job-stories/

    <Kelsey> Here's the survey link.

      [13] https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/L92GHRF

    Jeanne: I'd like to have our reports formally acknowledged by
    the W3C. We've gotten good feedback so far on the work, how
    useful it will be.
    ... We send out a "call for consensus" - it's an email vote
    that goes out to the entire list. Everyone gets a chance to
    vote. It's a call to see if people object to publishing. It's a
    part of the W3C process.
    ... First we'll vote in this meeting, then send out an email to
    ask for votes.
    ... This will go to the Silver task force.

    <jeanne> Are we agreed to publish this report

      [14] https://www.w3.org/community/silver/stakeholder-job-stories/?

    <jeanne> +1

    <Charles> +1

    <Kelsey> +1

    <jeanne> Jennison says +1


    <jeanne> Jan says +1

    Jeanne: We will call this a resolution.

    RESOLUTION: The group agrees to publish the Stakeholder Job
    Stories as a Community Group Report.

    Jeanne: Please vote again when you get the email.
    ... This will open it up to the entire task force.

    Jennison: What will be the turnaround?

    Jeanne: 5 days minimum. So we can publish on Tuesday Feb 20th.
    ... I'll send the *request* to publish on Feb 20th. It might be
    done the same day.
    ... I'll look into training materials for Github.
    ... And then we'll ask if people can use it.

Design Sprint invitation update

    Jeanne: So far we have under 20 people attending. I'd like to
    open it up for discussion.
    ... Would more people from this group like to attend?

    Kelsey: I'd like to attend.

    Jan: Shari and I can attend.

    Jeanne: We have 18 people attending.

    Charles: There are still 7 marked as questions.

    Jeanne: With all the maybes, we have 24 people.
    ... Charles, what do you need from the group for problem

    Charles: A place to publish them. We have 10 right now to have
    the sprint focus on.

    Jeanne: I would like to find a way to give more information to
    the problem statements, like a follow-up document, with context
    that needs to be a part of it.
    ... I will email you about what this could look like.

    Kelsey: I'll be emailing our group with a link to the survey,
    and language to introduce it.

    Charles: Yesterday I sent an email about the w3c blog - spec
    template redesign with Jefferson University. There's a link to
    provide feedback.
    ... I sent it to the Internal Silver mailing list.

    <Charles> [15]https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/6823

      [15] https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/6823

    Jennison: I will be away next week, back the following week.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [16]The group agrees to publish the Stakeholder Job Stories
        as a Community Group Report.

    [End of minutes]

Received on Friday, 16 February 2018 16:15:37 UTC