Re: Costs of testing with Silver

After re-reading the majority of this thread, it seems to be (mostly) contingent upon and in response to the idea of levels of conformance – particularly the model with Bronze, etc.

This is simply an idea being prototyped – one of many. Testing that prototype would likely reveal a concern of or considerations for levels of effort, cost and timing. Those responses would then be taken into account to make any relevant and appropriate revisions.

It has never been stated that Silver would {n} number of new or additional success criteria – only that it would simplify the language and format of the existing ones and establish a governance and contribution model that makes it easier to edit them, expire them and yes, add them.

If there is cost incurred in some organizations simply because the language changed, I see this as no different than any other specification or guideline – for example HTML 5 to 5.3. I still contend that attempting to control or mitigate cost is both: not the role, purpose or responsibility of the guideline; and not even possible due to the extreme variability in operations, processes, scale, market, proficiency, and thousands of other business variables.

Yes, I agree that cost will be a factor in how and how fast Silver is adopted. But we cannot lose site of the fact that what matters most is people. Silver exists so that people can access the web (and various related technologies). Better guidelines have the potential of enabling more access to more people. This can be viewed as a parallel to any other business effort to increase reach – like marketing. It is a given that there is cost associated. It is also proven that there are higher returns.

I was unaware that ‘reasonable cost’ was a major factor in WCAG 2.x development. If that is the case, then there must be a model for determining cost as well as a definition of ‘reasonable’. If there is a majority opinion that practice should be continued, then perhaps that existing wording can be added to the prototype? My opinion is simply that cost is the topic that makes individuals and organizations question making things accessible and delay and defer and avoid any effort to do so. That should never be a question.

Charles Hall // UX Architect, Technology

charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com?subject=Note%20From%20Signature>
w 248.203.8723
m 248.225.8179
360 W Maple Ave, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Relationship Is Our Middle Name

Ad Age B-to-B Agency of the Year, 2018
Ad Age Agency A-List 2016, 2017
Ad Age Creativity Innovators 2016, 2017
North American Agency of the Year, Cannes 2016
Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant, 2017, 2018