W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > May 2017

Silver TF meeting minute of 12 May 2017

From: Ku, Ja Eun <jku@illinois.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 15:29:50 +0000
To: Sarah Horton <shorton@paciellogroup.com>, Shawn Lauriat <lauriat@google.com>
CC: Silver TF <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <F9A45C7C-FC79-4044-9344-742F37788188@illinois.edu>
Today’s meeting minutes from Silver TF. I also copied text version at the end of this email.
https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html

Thanks,

JaEun Jemma Ku, PhD
Internet Applications Systems Specialist
University library
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
424 Library, M/C 522
1408 West Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
1-217-244-2145
jku@illinois.edu<mailto:jku@illinois.edu>
http://a11yfirst.library.illinois.edu/




Silver Task Force Teleconference
12 May 2017
See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-irc>
Attendees
Present
JaEunJemmaKu, sloandr, jan, david_swallow, shwan, jemma
Regrets
sarah, jeanne
Chair
Shawn
Scribe
JaEunJemmaKu
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Research project sheet review<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#item01>
     *   Action item review<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Research question prioritization poll<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Research survey core research questions<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#item04>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2017/05/12-silver-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________
<Jan> Having trouble calling in. I will keep trying.
Research project sheet review
david: did not have any progress yet
... Mike crabb got the funding for research
david can contact mike and he will find out the schedule. research will start in summer
jemma: Dr. Loiccono: have the team and are getting the IRB approval ready.
... sukil is happy to distribute Pete's survery into Koran IT community
daivid swallow: interested in usability of wcag
ldifferent aspect of WCAG - organization, language, effectiveness of terminology. how wcag is used by web developers
re. method - diary studies - have 5 developers
each participant will keep diaries for two weeks
first diary studies to be ready by the end of this month
deliverables will be written report - mainly qualitative - how and when wcag is used
in web development
anticipated challenges - motivate and encourage the participants to write diary for two weeks
without skipping
Jean and I talked about compensation for the participants.
I have research questions to ask participants - do we want to talk about this now or do you send that via email
shawn: curious about specifics of how the participant use wcag
david: survey and open ended questions included after diary
<Lauriat> Link to drafted questions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u1WVlNry67mBlY1KDoSz_dEnulFpDm0CvGROChtpuW8/edit#heading=h.bsu3xklgu01c

<Jan> diary
david: why the developer choose wcag to use?
rather than other resources
do they want to use or have to use wcag?
how long developer use the standard
whether they can find what they are looking for from wcag
any missing wcag info developers are looking for?
what aspect of WCAG also help them?
layout, design, organization?
what aspect of WCAG hinder them?
shawn: research questions sound great
... I wonder how developers are confident in using WCAG
sloandr: in other words, wcag can give confidence or rather confusion when they use wcag
or after using wcag
shawn: how developers feel comfortable about the result
jan: end of diary, there can be open ended questions to hear about overall experience of participants
... I have another researcher - Michael Heron in Scotland has CS students- who can do some diary studies
david_swallow: I can connect to him
Michael Heron in Scotland has CS students
jan: it would be good idea to see how cs students recognize wcag with fresh eye
sloandr: re Lowell Reade
interested in 1)adaptation of wcag 2)how usable wcag is and 3)implementation accessibility policy
sloandr: david can check duplication of the research questions and help with research questions which we dont cover yet.
<Jan> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nRjYeOsEyXS9WZ0Bq8tYywt1i4vkU5QVrKeCAMFe_Sw/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

jan: see Klaus Miesenberger's google doc link
Action item review
<Lauriat> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open

checking action items progress
close things which are done
<Lauriat> Community Group link: https://www.w3.org/community/silver/

jemma: silver community group is composed of research partners, TF members, some stakeholders, anyone interested in silver project
including people who signed up for the silver community group
sloandr: re: ACTION-73: Work with jeanne and dave to draft the policies for using the stakeholder list. also involve researcher. - it would be a good idea writing a blog post about this.
shawn: you can create wiki and point it from blog post
sloandr: I can take over action item, Follow up with jason white about helping review surveys.
since I have continuous contact/work with him
jan: re Follow up with dr. butler to help with research validity review
... may be we can have some time to go over those research questions?
sloandr: I would like to
<Lauriat> Draft agenda item: "Survey meta question prioritization & pruning"
jan: Dr. butler can join Friday meeting
next week
re: Create onboard documents for researchers and for helping with surveys - David, Jan and Jeanne can work together
Research question prioritization poll
Research survey core research questions
<Lauriat> Core researcher questions doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vDzSCO-mEnPB7jaAzIhOOLf92b0pCuzzR8u_GSWTw_M/edit

all the discussion and comments are added to google doc comment section.
sloandr: core research questions are ones which can be included in any Silver research survey.
<scribe> scribe: JaEunJemmaKu
Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]

Received on Friday, 12 May 2017 15:30:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 12 May 2017 15:30:29 UTC