W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > June 2017

Minutes of the Silver Subgroup Teleconference of 09 Jun 2017

From: Sarah Horton <shorton@paciellogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 11:07:25 -0400
Message-Id: <AAD378F1-B387-4376-811C-E7E99BC1B001@paciellogroup.com>
To: Silver TF <public-silver@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html <https://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html>

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                    Silver Task Force Teleconference

09 Jun 2017

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-irc

Attendees

   Present
          sloandr, Jeanne, Sarah, Jennison, Dave, JaEunJemmaKu

   Regrets
          Shawn

   Chair
          Jeanne

   Scribe
          Sarah

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Research survey core research questions finalized
         2. [5]Research project sheet review
         3. [6]Research survey core research questions finalized
         4. [7]Poll
            https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1wjB5ZCvM
            AIBpMkQELA61czFsRR3-EVdjJbyeaZXNRMY/edit
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     * [9]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   trackbot, start meeting

   <trackbot> Meeting: Silver Task Force Teleconference

   <trackbot> Date: 09 June 2017

   <scribe> scribe: Sarah

Research survey core research questions finalized

   Dave: Collected feedback from RQTF, shared response in email
   ... Branching question, no questions for the "no" branch

   <sloandr> RQTF survey feedback:
   [10]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Jun/
   0011.html

     [10] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Jun/0011.html

   Sarah: Keeping in mind these are core questions, and "no"
   branch might go to actual survey

   Jeanne: Worry that we are making core questions too big

   Jennison: Agree, let's leave door open to creating "no"
   questions down the road

   Jemma: Could ask about other standards

   Dave: Already ask questions about familiarity with
   accessibility

   Jeanne: If it's too long then people might not complete it

   Jennison: Maybe the question about other standards and sources
   of truth is helpful

   Jeanne: Let's do our own survey and ask that

   Sarah: That means we keep the core questions to demographics
   and WCAG usability

   Dave: More feedback, is there value asking why people use WCAG?

   Jennison: Might be stakeholder specific

   Jemma: Looking at categorization of research questions, trying
   to map, hard to sort core questions and from survey specific
   questions

   Jeanne: Will be asking these questions on every survey, need to
   keep that in mind
   ... Think we're interfering with researchers

   <jemma>
   [11]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vDzSCO-mEnPB7jaAzIhOOLf
   92b0pCuzzR8u_GSWTw_M/edit

     [11] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vDzSCO-mEnPB7jaAzIhOOLf92b0pCuzzR8u_GSWTw_M/edit

   Jemma: There are questions in the feedback from RQTF that we
   could offer to researchers to use
   ... Add to question bank

   Dave: Other demographic questions, add casual/consultant
   question to list
   ... Other suggestion on learning accessibilty, suggestion to
   include formalized training and newsletters
   ... Other questions might be in question bank
   ... WCAG more than guidelines and SC, other resources aren't
   included in core questions
   ... Could limit core questions to demographic data

   Jeanne: Good question about using resources other than SC
   ... Removing WCAG questions, include RQTF questions in our own
   survey with the WCAG questions

   Dave: RQTF willing to provide input on future surveys, will
   need more time to review and collate feedback
   ... Internationalization, important process question, when
   we're doing surveys, if we only deliver surveys in English we
   exclude people
   ... Do we require researchers to translate?

   Jennison: Could we include this in funding requests?

   Jeanne: Difficult to manage translations so they are fair, we
   should encourage researchers to do work in own language

   Jemma: Could reach out to resources to do Korean translations

   Dave: What about writing a blog post to address
   internationalization?

   Jeanne: Great idea

   Dave: We really care about this but we have limited capacity

   Jeanne: Active groups around the world, can approach them when
   we have survey ready to go

   <jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to write a blog post on the SIlver
   position on internationalization and translation into other
   languages [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action01]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action01

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-93 - Write a blog post on the silver
   position on internationalization and translation into other
   languages [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-06-16].

   <jeanne> action-93 due 21 July

   <trackbot> Set action-93 Write a blog post on the silver
   position on internationalization and translation into other
   languages due date to 2017-07-21.

   Jennison: Question about roles, does "person with a disability"
   belong in list of jobs, could we ask that separately?

   Dave: We have two groups, people who need accessibility
   guidelines, people who use accessibility guidelines, sometimes
   overlap

   <jeanne> Jennison: Do you self-identify as having a disability
   or impairment? Yes or No.

   <scribe> ACTION: Dave to start work on question bank [recorded
   in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action02]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action02

   <trackbot> Error finding 'Dave'. You can review and register
   nicknames at
   <[14]https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users>.

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users

   <scribe> ACTION: sloandr to start work on question bank
   [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action03]

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action03

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-94 - Start work on question bank [on
   David Sloan - due 2017-06-16].

   Sarah: Will get back to Pete

   Jemma: Will want to learn more about Nov 9 meeting

   Sarah: we have signed off on core question, focusing on
   demographics
   ... we are setting up question bank with other questions, Dave
   will own question bank

   Dave: Will provide some text about how to use the question bank

   Sarah: Dave can continue checking in with RQTF about question
   bank

   Jennison: Need to be agile with the questions

Research project sheet review

   Dave: Lowell has started exploring adaptations of WCAG, has
   list of adaptations, next steps are to review and identify
   themes, do we have suggestions of where to find more
   adaptations
   ... He's doing a broad approach to including adaptations
   ... Looking for suggested timeline

   Jennison: He could post note to email discussion list (e.g.,
   WebAIM)

   Jeanne: Dave will connect Lowell with Jan's contact

   Dave: Do we have preferences about where to store data and
   report activities

   Sarah: Could use community group as researcher hub

   Jennison: What are the deliverables? Information about
   adaptations, analysis, maybe a survey?

   Dave: Would be great to learn motivation for adaptations

   Sarah: Can we encourage him to post on the Community Group?

   Dave: Will do, and then he can publicize on mailing lists

   Sarah: Pete is ready to go, we will inform him about core
   questions and then he can go
   ... Also Thomas Westin responded and is interested in game
   accessibility

Research survey core research questions finalized

Poll
[16]https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1wjB5ZCvMAIBpMkQELA6
1czFsRR3-EVdjJbyeaZXNRMY/edit

     [16] https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1wjB5ZCvMAIBpMkQELA61czFsRR3-EVdjJbyeaZXNRMY/edit

   jeanne: Needs introduction and needs to be broken up into
   headings

   Jennison: Poll is going to community group, first attempt at
   engaging group in dialog
   ... Will be accompanying email

   Dave: What about language, is there a way to indicate priority,
   is there another option?
   ... Would rephrase to "not essential to" rather than "not
   directly related"

   Jeanne: Agreed, will add instructions for Shawn to poll
   document

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Dave to start work on question bank [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to write a blog post on the SIlver
   position on internationalization and translation into other
   languages [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: sloandr to start work on question bank [recorded
   in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action03]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action02
     [18] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action01
     [19] http://www.w3.org/2017/06/09-silver-minutes.html#action03

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

Sarah Horton
User Experience Strategy Lead
The Paciello Group
www.paciellogroup.com
A VFO™ Company 
www.vfo-group.com
603 252-6052 mobile

This message is intended to be confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system and notify us immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.


Received on Friday, 9 June 2017 15:07:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:41 UTC