W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > August 2017

Minutes of Silver Task Force Meeting of 18 August

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 11:11:32 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <2c4fc118-b8c6-752c-daae-ac065a4ba2f9@spellmanconsulting.com>
Formatted version of Minutes:
https://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html

Text of Minutes:

  
    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                     Silver Task Force Teleconference

18 Aug 2017

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-irc

Attendees

    Present
           sloandr, SarahHorton, Jan, Jeanne, Shawn

    Regrets
    Chair
           Shawn, Jeanne

    Scribe
           Lauriat

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]What translation services will we need?
             Brainstorming.
          2. [5]Budget
          3. [6]Research project sheet review
          4. [7]Update from Research Questions Task Force
          5. [8]Copyright discussion
          6. [9]coordination followup with Diary participants
          7. [10]Open action items
             https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/act
             ions/open review
          8. [11]Regrets
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

What translation services will we need? Brainstorming.

    Dave: Have some volunteers to translate, including Portuguese
    (not specifically requested), organized in a spreadsheet in the
    Drive folder.
    ... To clarify, the request included translation of responses
    as well, not just the survey.
    ... will reply to the Portuguese translator positively, though
    not on our list, so that we can expand our reach.
    ... next question: what do we want them to translate? Are we
    ready to answer that question?

    Jeanne: I think that relates to our next agenda item, but we
    should ask our currently active researcher about translation of
    the survey out there.

    Sarah: I'll do that.

Budget

    Jeanne: I did more work on the budget, starting a spreadsheet.
    I have some questions I wanted to talk through to help drive
    it.
    ... I split it up into four sections. Research project support,
    with gift cards. I put in an estimate based on feedback from
    one researcher, but should we include anything else here?

    Dave: Open ended. I can't really think of anything else at the
    moment aside from gift cards that we'd want to seek funding
    for.
    ... for the rest, we leave it to the researchers to figure out
    how to get funding for in order to contribute to Silver.

    Jeanne: Next up we have travel costs for people with
    disabilities in order to take part in the workshop.
    ... I would guess that we would have three people to support in
    joining the workshop.
    ... the next item, the workshop itself, I don't currently have
    access to the W3C materials on this, but have it started from
    memory.
    ... How many people do we want to attend this workshop? I put
    in 30, but want to discuss how big we want this workshop to be.
    ... with a W3C workshop, in order for people to attend, they
    need to write a paper. This narrows down the attendance and
    focuses it on the people interested enough to do the work.

    Sarah: Quick question on this: one factor of the size will be
    the objective of the workshop and desired outcomes.

    Jeanne: We haven't gone through this in detail and certainly
    not at all in months.
    ... one milestone along the way: we'd have a workshop to report
    on the research, bring together ideas from people in the
    industry, and build the prototype.

    Sarah: So this would be a design studio to get people to design
    and build prototypes. The first day would get everybody on the
    same page and then the second day would have the people
    building the prototypes.
    ... from a design studio perspective, you wouldn't really want
    more than around 30, certainly not more than 40. 20 is a good
    minimum.

    Dave: Thinking through the logistics, at this point we'd have
    collected all of the research contributed to Silver, with a
    standard template for researchers to report their findings, so
    that all of the participants will have read the research and
    have all of that knowledge up front.
    ... I don't think it'd be appropriate or reasonable to expect
    the researchers to come to CSUN to present.

    Jeanne: Right.
    ... We could organize people by topic to debate each of the
    topics that come up.

    Sarah: We should make sure to start out knowing our objective
    in order to ensure we get what we need.

    Jeanne: Absolutely.

    Dave: We have the research questions for what we know we want
    to gather. What's the scope of what it should cover, different
    dimensions.

    Jeanne: That's good, thank you!

    Sarah: Does this get you what you need for the budget?

    Jeanne: Yes. Let's just plan on 40.

    Jan: The other thing to consider: we may need different kinds
    of people for day one vs. day two.
    ... also, people may want to come, but will not want to write
    the paper.
    ... How do we accommodate them?

    Jeanne: We definitely have to circle back and discuss this in
    detail.

    <sloandr> +1 to not requiring all workshop participants to
    submit and present a paper. For many participants, their
    contribution will be considering the research we've already
    gathered, and working to turn that into a set of requirements
    for AG (for example)

    (Discussion on expenses for accommodations, food, A/V, etc. for
    the not-at-CSUN location of the workshop)

Research project sheet review

    <jeanne> Dave: Abby has started and is looking for wiki space.

    <jeanne> Jeanne: She can't easily contribute to the Silver TF
    space without Abby being a member of the WCAG WG, which isn't
    easy. We need to find her other space.

    <jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to find wiki space for researchers to
    use. [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action01]

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-112 - Find wiki space for researchers
    to use. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-08-25].

    <jeanne> Jan: Shari and Scott Hollier are working on getting
    the COGA literature review incorporated into the Silver Lit
    Review

    <jeanne> ... other researchers are no contact, or a meeting is
    scheduled.

    <jeanne> ... Klaus got his research project approved for a
    grant. This will be related to cogintive disabilities and
    access to visual content.

    <jeanne> ... he is going to do a special addition of the
    science track for CSUN on web accessibility and WCAG 2.0
    updates and Silver

    <sloandr> For interest to Silver TF members—RQTF has been
    focusing on gathering information on the implications of
    accessibility on emerging trends in authentication and in
    virtual reality. This work is is response to requests from
    other W3C WGs for information to support their activities, but
    clearly has potential relevance to Silver.

Update from Research Questions Task Force

    <jeanne> Dave: Recently RQTF has been working on virtual
    reality, authentication, and personalization

    <jeanne> ... the specific research discussion is happening and
    want to make sure that Silver is aware of the work that is
    going on .

    <jeanne> Jan: Personalization is easily misunderstood. There
    was a good article on personalization and students with
    learning disabilities.

    <jeanne> Dave: Also RQTF did some work on CAPTCHA at the
    request of the AGWG who want to update their guidance.

Copyright discussion

coordination followup with Diary participants

    <sloandr> RQTF's contribution to the update on W3C's
    Accessibility and CAPTCHA Note is available at
    [15]http://w3c.github.io/rqtf/captcha-notes.html

      [15] http://w3c.github.io/rqtf/captcha-notes.html

    Jeanne: I sent out emails to contacts and expect to have names
    next week in Australia, Japan, and Jemma will look for someone
    in Korea to participate.

    <jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to reach out for diary project
    participants in Australia and Japan [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action02]

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-113 - Reach out for diary project
    participants in australia and japan [on Jeanne F Spellman - due
    2017-08-25].

    <jeanne> ACTION: jeanne with Jennison to reach out for diary
    project participants in the Bay Area. [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action03]

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action03

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-114 - With jennison to reach out for
    diary project participants in the bay area. [on Jeanne F
    Spellman - due 2017-08-25].

Open action items
[18]https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open
review

      [18] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/actions/open

    <jeanne> close action-97 done

    <jeanne> close action-97

    <trackbot> Closed action-97.

    <jeanne> ACTION: Dave Sloan to draw up a plan for surveys, that
    includes asking for translation support. Associated with
    action-94 [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action04]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action04

    <trackbot> Error finding 'Dave'. You can review and register
    nicknames at
    <[20]https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users>.

      [20] https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/track/users

    <jeanne> ACTION: sloandr to draw up a plan for surveys, that
    includes asking for translation support. Associated with
    action-94 [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action05]

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action05

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-115 - Draw up a plan for surveys,
    that includes asking for translation support. associated with
    action-94 [on David Sloan - due 2017-08-25].

    <jeanne> action-93 due 18 August

    <trackbot> Set action-93 Write a blog post on the silver
    position on internationalization and translation into other
    languages due date to 2017-08-18.

    <jeanne> action-97 due 18-August

    <trackbot> Set action-97 Set up public project list so it can
    be referenced from david's blog post. due date to 2017-08-18.

    <jeanne> close action-93

    <trackbot> Closed action-93.

    <jeanne> action-107 due 8 September

    <trackbot> Set action-107 Contact mikep about silver workshop
    around csun 2018 march 19-23 2018 due date to 2017-09-08.

    <jeanne> action-110 due 25 August

    <trackbot> Set action-110 Coordinate outreach to identify
    participants in dave swallow's diary project due date to
    2017-08-25.

    <jeanne> action-94 due 25 August

    <trackbot> Set action-94 Start work on question bank due date
    to 2017-08-25.

    <jeanne> action-99 due 25 August

    <trackbot> Set action-99 Draw up budget based on notes from
    david and discussion in the tf meeting. due date to 2017-08-25.

Regrets

    <jeanne> Shawn and Sarah regrets for Tuesday.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Dave Sloan to draw up a plan for surveys, that
    includes asking for translation support. Associated with
    action-94 [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to find wiki space for researchers to use.
    [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to reach out for diary project
    participants in Australia and Japan [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: jeanne with Jennison to reach out for diary
    project participants in the Bay Area. [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: sloandr to draw up a plan for surveys, that
    includes asking for translation support. Associated with
    action-94 [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action05]

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action04
      [23] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action01
      [24] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action02
      [25] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action03
      [26] http://www.w3.org/2017/08/18-silver-minutes.html#action05

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Friday, 18 August 2017 15:12:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:41 UTC