RE: [via Web of Sensors Community Group]

Hello.

UPnP seems (to me) a very good solution, combined with SPARQL.

The browser does not have to support SPARQL, only the SPARQL endpoint does. The browser just sends a SPARQL query (a string) to the endpoint (using a simple HTTP POST, or SOAP/REST request) and the endpoint returns different formats (depending on the Accept header for instance). JSON is a valid format, and is already defined:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-json-res/

http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-results-json/

So, the only thing missing today, to be able to use SPARQL & JSON in browser code is:

* The ability to call resources across different domains (for instance internet, where page might be located, and local network, where sensor gateway/SPARQL endpoint is located). This can be allowed in controlled networks (such as IP-TV networks), but for general solutions (i.e. combining web & home networks) security vulnerabilities makes this difficult.

* Detect resources. UPnP & DLNA use UDP & HTTPU. To be able to access these directly from a browser would also induce security vulnerabilities if combining web & home networks.

However, if you through the browser code could get access to UPnP Devices & Interfaces already recognized (for instance through an properties in the DOM), you could add a security model in the browser where you could control what pages would have access right (and what access rights) to individual devices and/or what interfaces. That would definitely be interesting for a multitude of reasons, not only sensor networking and home automation, but home entertainment as well. A UPnP device & interface description would have to be defined for SPARQL endpoints. (Much like the security models used for Windows 7 sensors, where privileges to individual sensors are controlled on a user level.)

And if you defined an UPnP interface for the SPARQL endpoint, which had a SPARQL Query action defined, you could perform the SPARQL query over UPnP (i.e. HTTP) instead of using the XHR object, and the cross domain problems would be solved as well.

SPARQL (see it as an SQL for semantic networks) is exceptionally powerful in that it does not pose limitations on how data is structured or linked, where individual data items reside, and allows for cross domain (and cross protocol) joins. SPARQL does for linked internet data what SQL did for relational databases that traditionally were accessed using procedural APIs. Nobody wants to use such procedural APIs anymore, if they have access to an SQL parser/endpoint (if they've taken the trouble to learn SQL).

If somebody wants to learn more about SPARQL:

SPARQL 1.0:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/

SPARQL 1.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/