Re: SWUI Workshop at CHI? (was RE: [CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS] CFP CHI 2008: Workshop/Course submissions due 15 June)

A practical question: how many HCI attendees would submit to and/or
attend a SWUI workshop?  It is enough?  How can we define and
package SWUI so that it has the right overlap with CHI?
Point: one should know that SWUI is good for and already desired by
(or pitchable to) CHI before planning a workshop there.  I'd
like to see it happen (and even help) but don't know the
answer to the question above.

One lead-in is the CHI work in social tagging.  This defies typical
definitions of "semantic", but perhaps in this context CHI tagging
can/should be considered within SWUI.  That is, "semantics" for SWUI
means interaction that deals with annotation, collection of
extracted features (see Hyowon's post), "non-semantic" databases and,
of course RDF(S)/OWL.  Semantics here then has more to do with aspects of
interaction than the technology behind them.  And, of course, on
a technological level, tags and features can be integrated with
specifically Semantic Web technologies, and we'll probably see more
of this.

The point is we don't want people to not submit/attend because they
think their work isn't "semanticky" enough.  This applies to SWUI@CHI
as well as the main Semantic Web conferences.

-Lloyd