RE: [CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS] CFP CHI 2008: Workshop/Course submissions due 15 June

Hi Tom,

Yes, it is a useful idea, and timely. I proposed it initially last year, but
we ended up thinking it could risk being too formative, so worked instead on
awareness raising and taking a sampling of interest at CHI via the
interactive session talk this year. While it was not hugely attended (at
least for the massive basketball arena - literally - they provided as a room
for the talk) there was a good turnout and a number of people contributing
to discussion and ideas. Check out some of the notes from the discussion:
http://swui.ecs.soton.ac.uk/swuiwiki/index.php?title=CHI_2007_Discussion

I spoke with some of the CHI organizers later in the conference, and they
seemed encouraging of the idea and are seeking interesting new workshops. Of
course, work still needs to be done on the larger SWUI research agenda and
challenges, which may help provide a framework. One of the key issues (I
think) to consider is how we frame the opportunities and challenges to
create understanding and alignment with the HCI community's existing domains
and research - i.e. it's not a complete departure from what they are
exploring currently - this was something we worked to do in the talk at CHI
this year.

I've just returned from the conference, so have not really sorted out all
the thoughts and impressions yet. monica and I had just spoken briefly about
the possibility. Thanks for the reminder that the deadline is so near... Was
that just a nudge, or are you volunteering to help out? Interested and
proactive? :-)

Duane