RE: UCD Description for SWUIWiki "How To" section

Some additional thoughts about context and experience...

If you set out to build a better mousetrap, you probably have a mouse, or
some passing experience with mice.

As analyst/designers (and researchers), we are often called on to build
products in unfamiliar domains. The processes we undertake - which in this
discussion are labeled "UCD" - is the way we gain an understanding of the
domain, conditions, and context to inform design. That design may be
evolutionary or revolutionary, but it begins with understanding.

UCD techniques help you in four ways:

1. Systematically explore and understand the environment, context, goals,
prior experiences, and constraints of a domain and the people that are
within it.

2. Expose, question, and clarify your own assumptions about the domain, the
people, and the intervention/artifact that you are imagining for that
domain.

3. Confirm your understanding over time by contact with the people in that
domain, to evaluate that your proposed intervention - and expected change in
the environment - has value and relevance.

4. Communicate your understanding, approach and assumptions in common
formats that other people can understand and learn from, whether in academic
papers, requirements/design documents, prototypes, etc.

Now, from the designer's perspective, it is vital to apply imagination and
your experience to designs, in order to achieve valuable break-throughs and
improvements. Saying that, how the design process is informed by context is
important.

Say you were asked to design emergency controls for a nuclear power station
- if you had never been in one or even knew someone who worked in one, would
your first action be to sit at a whiteboard and design the innovative
solution in isolation? The same can be said in the multimedia domain - if
you have never stepped into a video editing environment, or more extreme had
never watched television, could you envision the types of tools and
facilities that would be required to overcome practical challenges in the
work?

I suspect the people who developed the iPod had some prior experience using
MP3 players or a cassette Walkman or at least a boombox - some sort of
portable music device. They probably also had some experience with a large
number of CDs or records in their collection, thus with the cognitive
process of finding and selecting something they were personally interested
in. The widget designs are clever, but probably started from a contextual
foundation and then refined via experience and feedback.

Let us make explicit the implicit assumption in a lot of software design -
that because designers/developers use computers and software they can
perceive themselves as users, and thus "know" what is required from users.
It is not surprising to me that a lot of experimental projects I see relate
to creation of development tools, searching databases (e.g.
conference/abstracts), sharing/collaborating with professional project
colleagues, researching... all tasks that are common within the domain of
researchers and developers. For example, the web browser began in that
context...

To relate this to SWUI - what problems are you trying to solve? What areas
do the particular techniques of the Semantic Web relate? What affordances
can be applied? What efficiencies can be gained... and in comparison to what
pre-existing challenge or interaction? What can we imagine, now that certain
enabling technologies are becoming available... and once imagined, how can
we communicate our understanding and the products of our imagination?

It is not either-or... Innovative design and UCD are extremely
complementary, in service of vision and improvement.

Duane