Re: ChatGPT and general personal profile data gathering

Hi.

Does (Chat)GPT spit out personal data? Is it accurate or is it nonsense?

This is the question I've been looking into ever since GPT3 was
announced. So far, the answer seems to be inconclusive, as also reported
elsewhere [1]. AFAIK, we don't know the exact specifics of what sources
were used to build GPT. It is also quite likely that data was 'cleaned'
to remove obvious information, such as emails and addresses. Hopefully
some authority somewhere has asked OpenAI to answer this question - even
if we don't have this info. in the public domain.

All this being said, if GPT4 or something else does build even bigger
LLMs that enable somehow to query what I've said 10 years ago on a
forum, e.g. with the prompt "What topics has Harsh posted on forums?",
and which returns results which can also be publicly available via a
search - I don't think this is much different than GPT being used like a
search engine.

The line I draw is when GPT or LLMs might start 'summarising' and
'inferring' things about me. For example, the prompt "What topics is
Harsh interested in?" doesn't just return a list of websites but the
topics from that website or conversations in it. This is where GDPR
would get triggered substantially. We have already seen similar
apprehensions for ClearViewAI which also scrapped personal data (photos)
off the internet and did things with it (facial recognition) [2].

If we start normalising such personal data collection, and put the onus
on the individual to find out what is known about them - it will have
negative impacts and will be a bad thing for society. Its much better to
have the onus on the creators and providers of LLMs and other 'services'
to ensure they toe the line and have the necessary risks and impacts
assessed and addressed. This is also what the GDPR says (sort of), but
we need more specific guidelines and enforcements for AI.

So I disagree that too much is left to chance. There's definitely a
frenzy but that's because this is something 'new and shiny' and so we
tend to get distracted a lot. Moving ahead, quite a lot of us are taking
the cautious approach, including governments with regulations [3].

[1]
https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/08/31/1058800/what-does-gpt-3-know-about-me/
[2]
https://edpb.europa.eu/news/national-news/2022/facial-recognition-italian-sa-fines-clearview-ai-eur-20-million_en