Re: 7 days left to comment (was Re: representing potential drug-drug interaction knowledge and evidence - Last commenting period for the W3C Community Group report

On 3/29/19 4:41 PM, Boyce, Richard David wrote:
> We worked through all of the comments and have produced a new draft
> version of the Report: https://w3id.org/hclscg/pddi

Thanks for this!  But I have a naive, somewhat pedantic question about
conformance.  I do not know if you will consider it to be useful input
or not, so please feel free to ignore it if you do not think it is useful.

I notice that conformance terms from RFC 2119 are used:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119

1. The document uses both the terms "SHOULD" and "RECOMMENDED".
According to RFC 2119, they are synonyms.  Might it be clearer if only
one or the other term were used -- preferably "SHOULD"?

2. There are a few places where a "SHOULD" is used, but it is dependent
on a conditional, and I am wondering if "MUST" would be more
appropriate.  For example:

  - R3 says "such information SHOULD be provided if available and
considered reliable".  According to RFC 2119, "SHOULD" means: "there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course".
But in R3, if "such information" *is* available and considered reliable,
are there "valid reasons in particular circumstances" for NOT providing
it?  If not, then "MUST" would be more appropriate:

  - R4 says: "Clinical consequences SHOULD refer health outcomes as
specifically as possible".  But are there "valid reasons in particular
circumstances" to NOT "refer health outcomes as specifically as
possible"?   If not, then "MUST" would be better.

  - R7 says: "each known factor SHOULD be stated as specifically as
possible".  Again, are there "valid reasons in particular circumstances"
to NOT state each known factor "as specifically as possible"?  If not,
"MUST" would be better.

  - R8 says: "If known, a recommended action SHOULD be stated using
clear and concise language".  Again are there "valid reasons in
particular circumstances" for NOT stating a recommended action "using
clear and concise language" if one is known?   If not, use "MUST".

  - Also R8 says: "Any recommended actions that apply to all patient
exposures SHOULD be stated using clear and concise language".  Again are
there "valid reasons in particular circumstances" for NOT stating
recommended actions "using clear and concise language"?   If not, use
"MUST".

Side note: "clear and concise language" is inherently subjective, and
hence not objectively testable as a conformance criterion.  Some may
feel that this disqualifies as a conformance criterion.  Personally, I
think it is okay to have untestable conformance criteria, though it is
good to acknowledge that they are untestable.

Thanks for your great work!  And again, please feel free to ignore these
comments if they are not helpful.

David Booth