Re: FHIR on schema.org

> On 28 Jun 2016, at 04:42, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>
> Correct.  Again: what harm do you think is caused by that?

People’s Privacy is harmed. Quite a big issue in some countries ;-)

> Giving people a vocabulary for publishing eHealth records is *not* the same as publishing those records.  It simply provides a consistent *vocabulary* for publishing data *when* it is appropriate to do so.

The “when” is the issue. Since schema.org promotes the open HTML page as the mechanism to publish schema.org data.
Then FHIR Conformance is completely by-passed [1].

> Teaching someone how to drive a car does not mean that we are encouraging them to drive off of a cliff.

Yes, but those that govern the cliff who *know* it is dangerous will deploy mitigation strategies (ie build a rail guard),

> Some common reasons why health data is legitimately published:
> - It is test data.
> - It is de-identified data, for research.
> - The individual it's about wants to publish it.  For example, he/she may have a rare disease and wants others to help seek a cure for it.

And all of these can be achieved with the normative FHIR “ontology”.

>> My point is that you *do not* need to do that. We already have the HL7 FHIR URIs for the vocab. Use that.
>
> I will, thank you.  But you are unlikely to get people who *only* use the schema.org vocabulary to use the FHIR vocabulary.  And there are likely to be far more of them than FHIR users.

It is far more likely that a “user" who is publishing FHIR data would have intimate knowledge of the vocab from the FHIR specs themselves then from schema.org.

It is scary to think that, for example, a user wrote a CDA document, and never referred to the CDA specification  :-)

> No, I don't think that is the purpose in this case.  The purpose is to align *other* vocabularies with the FHIR vocabulary, in this case the schema.org vocabulary.

So that is easily achievable in the FHIR “ontology” with outgoing references to the other vocabs to align to
(and/or the other vocabs can refer to FHIR “ontology" URI concepts).

Renato

[1] http://hl7.org/fhir/2016May/conformance-rules.html