Re: Media type for FHIR RDF in Turtle

What we're wrestling here is of course the usual tension between the
cost of deploying a new identifier that won't initially be recognized
vs. the cost of reusing an existing, less specific identifier. For
media types, this is a ameliorated a bit by self-describing documents,
but as Grahame, points out, you still have to root aruond in it to
know what is is and where to route it. The IETF conneg group has
wanted to develop a more expressive form of media type for a couple
decades now.

A "+" precedent was established by the (XML-centric) work-around
introduced in the XML media type registraion (RFC3023):

[[
   When a new media type is introduced for an XML-based format, the name
   of the media type SHOULD end with '+xml' unless generic XML
   processing is in some way inappropriate for documents of the new
   type.
]] — https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7303#section-4.2

Of the current tree/foo+bar registrants (see
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml>), we have
 XML related (xml, wbxml, fastinfoset) 381
 +json     51
 +zip     6
 +der (???)    1

We can certainly argue for text/fhir+turtle; It's a precedent I'd like
to set. We'll have to compare

 f1 A GETs U.
 f2 U arrives with specific media type text/fhir+turtle.
 f3 A usefully routes or processes U without parsing it.

against a null proposition of

 t1 A GETs U.
 t2 U arrives with a generic media type text/turtle.
 t3 A needs to parse U to perform the action in f3.

What sorts of decoupled systems will recieve U without knowing they'd
dereferenced a link to a FHIR resource?

In principle, we also have to convince ourselves that the benefit of
f3 exceeds the deployment pain teaching existing RDF tools about a new
"+turtle" convention. There are a good many turtle files served as
text/plain so I imagine that the current practices of content-sniffing
and optimsitic-parsing will make this more of a theoretical pain.

* Grahame Grieve <grahame@healthintersections.com.au> [2016-02-17 11:48+1100]

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509