Re: aligning medical.schema.org clinical with FHIR/RDF

Hi Eric

Yes we are progressing with improvement of schema.org medical related
vocabulary.

When we started this effort in 2013 the aim was ambitious: to align the
vocabulary with existing terminologies and medical ontologies.
At the very beginning we saw that we needed first to improve the existing
definitions and terms  and then to extend the vocab.

Now we have achieved the first step of improving definitions and model of
existing vocabulary.
This will be published in next release (
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2016Mar/0014.html)  and
we have called for a wide community review (see:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2016Mar/0011.html).

The next step is to extend the vocabulary. This will be guided by
community/APIs/User-case needs. So we invited the community to get involved
here.

We have something in pipeline, but this is very unofficial (please consider
it as my desk temp folder only)  and needs re-working: see
http://health.sdo-schemedex-0-1.appspot.com/MedicalEntity

The extension phase is also the opportunity to align with FHIR/RDF and FHIR
ontology and this is my personal target. I have been involved in both and I
see overlaps and a real win-win if we align both!

Of course I need to convince the rest of our driving WG (
https://www.w3.org/community/schemed)  and put this on the agenda. I have
also many other competing targets: clinical trials vocab; pharmacogenetics;
US HealthCare Insurance vocab, etc. So the priority will be driven by a
clear use-case to test and use the targeted extension.Of course whatever we
do, we will follow the authority of schema.org, philosophy, roadmap and
principles.

To align the two we have to discuss each other and determine the best way.
The current approach we are using is to use owl:equivalentClass, but
something like skos:* can also work but this needs a deep discussions. Am
happy to have this if we have active people to investigate such effort.

I would be happy to have the work done by Harold on this as well.

Let's keep interacting on this.

---
Best Regards

Marc Twagirumukiza