Re: Good, up-to-date tutorial on OWL 2 and Protege for Biomedical domain?

Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> writes:
> The challenge of building ontologies is not technical, but
> socio-political.

I think this very much depends on the ontology that you are creating and
what it's purpose is.

When we created the karyotype ontology, there was no socio-political
challenge at all; the knowledge was all there in the first place. The
problem was to create a complex and repetitive ontology consistently,
which behaved correctly. This is a technical challenge, which I think we
solved.

Another problem we are trying to address is linking the axiomatisation
through to the documentation and provenance for that axiomatisation;
again, a largely technical challenge.

There are challenges associated with getting agreement and coming to an
consensus, of course, but these are hardly unique to ontology building.

Phil