From:   Lloyd McKenzie <lloyd@lmckenzie.com>
To:     Marc Twagirumukiza/AXPZC/AGFA@AGFA
Cc:     David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Grahame Grieve
<grahame@healthintersections.com.au>, "its@lists.hl7.org"
<its@lists.hl7.org>, w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Date:   27/11/2014 15:21
Subject:        Re: Agenda for Tue Nov 25 HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS
COI call -- Review of FHIR ontology approaches
Sent by:        owner-its@lists.hl7.org

Hi Marc,

Well, there's a bunch of things at play here:
- attribute
- data type
- binding
- value set
- code system

In the general case, each of these things are distinct.

In the case of gender, what we have is:
attribute: property; name="fhir:Patient.gender", type = "fhir:code"
Binding name: Gender (set of constraints that can be applied to various
attributes and possibly various code systems)
The constraint asserts that a coded element SHALL/SHOULD/MAY be drawn from
a specified set of codes (ValueSet) drawn from one or more code systems
and in some cases may be allowed to be drawn from other code systems too.

In this specific case, the binding is "SHALL", "Non-extensible", which is
easier, but our solution will have to handle others.
Because the binding is to a "code", that means that there's an implicit
code system which is fixed and that the code value is whatever's in the
code - and is constrained to the set of codes allowed in the value set.

When we get to CodeableConcept, what the binding says is that "one of the
CodeableConcept.coding repetitions needs to correspond to the specified
value set.

I created something similar to this structure in the v3 modeling and it's
not super-pleasant, but I don't really see any way around it.

Lloyd

Lloyd McKenzie

+1-780-993-9501

Note: Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the opinions and positions
expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect those of my clients
nor those of the organizations with whom I hold governance positions.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Marc Twagirumukiza <