Re: License unknown

Again, I think we should encourage more specificity than the boolean
property flag.

One academic makes the following statements

_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true .

Second Academic makes these statements
_:lazyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true .

Combine this knowledge
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license true ;
                  :tried-to-determine-license false .

Not very helpful.

Take the rdfs:comment approach
_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "I tried to look at XXX,
and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ]

_:lazyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "Lazy academic did not
care to look for the license"]

Combine this knowlege
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [rdfs:comment "I tried to look at XXX,
and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ],
                                   [rdfs:comment "Lazy academic did
not care to look for the license"] .

Its still use full.

Then try this
_:sillyAcademicsDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  prov:wasDerivedFrom realworld:commercialDataset .
realworld:commercialDataset a dct:Dataset ;
                  dct:license [a :UseAtOwnLegalRisk .
                                    rdfs:comment "I tried to look at
XXX, and believe its fair use because of YYYY" ]

Even more rich information an end user can actually use.
One has to think about more than one re-publisher of a dataset, as
that does happen in our field (see drugbank as a real life example).

Regards,
Jerven

--
Jerven Bolleman