From: Lloyd McKenzie [mailto:lloyd@lmckenzie.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:15 PM
To: Vipul Kashyap
Cc: David Booth; w3c semweb HCLS; HL7 ITS
Subject: Re: Minutes of last week's (Dec 2) HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS COI call -- Review of FHIR ontology approaches (cont.)

Well, for FHIR at a minimum, you must be able to round-trip instances.  And what will appear in the JSON and XML instances is the code + code system (and often multiple code-code system pairs).   Often, the code + code system won't even link to an ontology that's known by the receiver.  And if we want to be able to convert v2 or v3 instances, what appears over the wire there is the code + code system too.  All knowledge of what the binding is for an element is carried outside the instance.

Lloyd McKenzie

+1-780-993-9501

Note: Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the opinions and positions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect those of my clients nor those of the organizations with whom I hold governance positions.