RE: hcls dataset description comments--Dataset Descriptions vs. PROV

hi all,

as you are all undoubtedly aware, a major, if not the major TCGA dataset
use cases revolve around taking the 3rd level data from the TCGA dcc
repository and doing analysis, producing 4th level data such as clusters,
pca, etc.  one of the things we do here at ISB is produce an intermediate
data step that combines the different platforms (mRNA, miRNA, RPPA, METH,
etc.) into one feature matrix so that the analysis can use all the
platforms together.  the Broad firehose pipeline also has this as one of
its outputs.

as some of my comments allude to, it doesn't seem that Dataset Descriptions
deal with the use case of describing a dataset that is specifically derived
from other datasets, which is what we are looking at ways we might describe
our data when we publish it.  i took a look at PROV and, i've got a bit
more mapping to do, but it seems like PROV provides the terms we need.

but this has lead me to ask the question of what is the relation of Dataset
Descriptions and PROV and how should they/should they be used together?  i
think the above use case is quite common for datasets being published so
might deserve a discussion in the Dataset Descriptions note

cheers,

michael

Michael Miller

Software Engineer