Re: Resource Shape 2.0 - W3C Member Submission

* Matthias Samwald <matthias.samwald@meduniwien.ac.at> [2014-04-14 19:38+0200]
> How does this relate to / overlap with Shape Expressions?
> http://www.w3.org/2013/ShEx/Primer

OSLC Resource Shapes and Dublin Core Description Set Profiles
<http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-dsp/> both associate a shape
identifier with a set of constraints. These contraints principally
assert for some predicate what shape or XSD datatype the object must
have. While not explicitly stated, this implies a conjunction of
property constraints where each occurance of the property in the data
must conform to each of the constraints associated with that property.
Resource Shapes has some interface hints like hidden and readOnly. DSP
has more controles over literals, like Language and
LanguageOccurrence.
  (also described in <http://www.w3.org/Submission/2014/01/Comment/>)

Shape Expressions provides algebraic connectives for these rules,
adding disjunctions and optional groups. For example, if a User must
supply either a foaf:name or one or more given names and a family
name, we'd write:

<User> {
    (foaf:name xsd:string                %GenX{ full-name %}
     | foaf:givenName xsd:string+        %GenX{ given-name %},
       foaf:familyName xsd:string        %GenX{ family-name %}
    ),
    ... more constraints ...
}

The Shape Expressions submission has been delayed but I expect it this
week or early next week. This should give us a good basis for a
charter on RDF validation. If you have use cases or requirements you'd
like to submit, I'd love to see them.

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509