Re: HCLS dataset descriptions call notes

Hi Jim,

On 10 Sep 2013, at 16:02, Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:

> I think Jerven's point is that it's unclear why having additional properties would warrant an error or a warning, when this is actually a good thing.

I agree and understand your point. What I was meaning was that it would be flagged in someway that additional properties were provided; in order to be informative.

The way the validator is designed, it will return:
Error messages for properties that MUST be there and which are not present.
Warning messages for properties that SHOULD be there and which are not present.
Information messages for other properties that are detected.
Given the use of properties that MAY be present, we (Manchester) will need to revisit this design decision. However my first goal will be to get a validator up that generates the above messages.

Alasdair

> Jim
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Alasdair J G Gray <Alasdair.Gray@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jerven, hello.
>
> I should have stated in the notes yesterday that the current validator is not complete. (I'm afraid I've been too busy to be able to complete this part of the work.)
>
> On 9 Sep 2013, at 17:43, Jerven Bolleman <me@jerven.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thanks for starting up again, and sorry for missing this.
>>
>> I had a quick question about the validator. Currently it seems to fail if a resource has an unknown type such as foaf:Organization .
>> Is this correct? or is my dyslexia getting the better of me?
>
> However, I do not think that you should have received an error; perhaps a warning saying that additional properties were provided.
>
> Once I've completed the validator, it would be good to re-test your file and see what should be the appropriate output in this case.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alasdair
>

>> Regards,
>> Jerven
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Alasdair J G Gray <Alasdair.Gray@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Attached are the notes that I took during the call today.
>>
>> Speak to you all next week.
>>
>> Alasdair
>>

>> Dr Alasdair J G Gray
>> Research Associate