Re: Modeling the author's position from research papers into RDF graph

Dear Yusniel,

We use the Collections Ontology ( http://purl.org/co ) as a convenient
way to create ordered lists of authors (or of other things, e.g. ordered
lists of references in a reference list).

As we state in our recent paper [1]:

          4.4.1 Using external models

    As already mentioned, FaBiO was developed with the minimum of
    restrictions to its classes and to the domains and ranges of its
    properties. This flexibility has the great advantage of allowing
    FaBiO to be used together with other ontologies. We have already
    seen how FOAF can be used to describe agents. Another common
    requirement is that of specifying the order of components in a list,
    for example authors in an author list or references in a reference
    list. Unlike the use of /bibo:authorList/, which breaks OWL 2 DL
    compliance as explained above, this can be achieved in a manner that
    is compliant with the decidable and computable OWL 2 DL by combining
    FaBiO with the Collections Ontology (CO), an OWL 2 DL ontology
    specifically designed for defining orders among items, in the
    following way:

        :intertextual-semantics a fabio:ResearchPaper

           ; dcterms:creator :listOfAuthors .

        :listOfAuthors a co:List

           ; co:firstItem [co:itemContent :marcoux

           ; co:nextItem [co:itemContent :rizkallah ] ] .

    In this way we can still keep the model in OWL 2 DL. Additionally,
    because the ranges of dcterms:creator and other properties within
    FaBiO have intentionally been left unspecified, FaBiO guarantees a
    level of interoperation with other models without incurring in any
    undesirable collateral effects, such as ontology inconsistencies or
    the generation of undesired inferences.

Please also check out *SCoRO, the Scholarly Contributions and Roles
Ontology* ( http://purl.org/spar/scoro/), described in my recent blog
post at http://semanticpublishing.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/scoro/, and
*SCoRF, the Scholarly Contributions Report Form*
(http://purl.org/spar/scoro/scorf/), described in my recent blog post at
http://semanticpublishing.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/scorf/.

Since authorship position means different things in different academic
disciplines, SCoRO permits authorship roles (e.g. Principal author,
Corresponding Author, Senior Author) to be specified explicitly,
irrespective of the position of that person's name in the author list.

It also has the advantage that it employs a standard ontology design
pattern called the *Time-indexed Value in Context Pattern (TVC)* [2]
that permits roles to be specified in specific contexts (e.g. PersonA is
Senior Author in the context of PaperB, but Editor in the context of
PaperC) and over defined time periods (e.g. PersonD is Editor-in-Chief
of JournalE between StartDate and EndDate).  This use of TVC gives
complete flexibility and control over the expression of roles and
contributions, unlike all other ways implemented in RDF of which I am aware.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David

[1]    Peroni S and Shotton D (2012). FaBiO and CiTO: ontologies for
describing bibliographic resources and citations. /Journal of Web
Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web/ *17*:
33-43. doi:10.1016/j.websem.2012.08.001
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.websem.2012.08.001>.

[2]    Peroni S, Shotton D and Vitali F (2012). Describing roles and
statuses and their temporal extents: a general pattern with applications
in scholarly publishing. In Proceedings of the 8th International
Conference on Semantic Systems (i-Semantics 2012): pages 9-16.
doi:10.1145/2362499.2362502 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2362499.2362502>.

--

Dr David Shotton
Research Data Management and Semantic Publishing Research Group