Re: owl:sameAs - Harmful to provenance?

On Mar 27, 2013, at 7:32 PM, Jim McCusker wrote:

> (Sorry about the empty reply to myself)
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
> That "option" is already available, if you use owl:sameAs correctly (and do not confuse information about some thing with meta-information about that information. The meta-information is not about the thing.
>
> If only owl:sameAs were used correctly...

Well, I agree that is a problem, but don't draw the conclusion that there is something wrong with sameAs, just because people keep using it wrong. I guess your analogy to GOTO put my back up a little.

> One thing to note is that provenance is for more than data. The issues I discuss in that presentation (and the following papers) are more about entity provenance than data provenance.

Well, I'm not (yet) sure what "entity provenance" means, but the main point is that if you have some information about A, and A owl:sameAs B, then that information is also about B (because A and B are the same thing.) I was assuming that provenance was not about the object, but if it is, then sameAs should apply to it in the same way as it does to any other assertion.

But OK, I will have to go read your stuff before commenting further, and that might take a few days.

Pat