Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

Medical records are filled with modal assertions:

 Possibly P(x)
 I believe that P(x)
 Jim believes P(x) (whereas e..g. perhaps David, Umutcan, Jeremy and I don't).
 At 5:00 pm today P(x)
 I disavow P(x)
 It is extremely unlikely that P(x)
 I know that P(x)
 I regret that P(x)
 I am reponsible for bringing about P(x) (!!!!)

and these are typically the most "interesting" (in the sense of having practical medical consequences) statements in medical records.

OWL logic (out-of-the-box) does not include support for modal reasoning of arbitrary kind (and there are a countless number of kinds). Put another way, OWL out-of-the-box has a commitment to one particular modality. So we don't expect an OWL reasoner to reason with arbitrary modal assertions; in fact, we don't expect the OWL language necessarily to even be competent to express multiple, arbitrary modalities, out-of-the box. It just isn't part of the native language.

I agree with Jim and others that if you want to use OWL, you must let OWL be OWL. We should reason locally with it, accepting its limitations. One such limitation is that if you choose to reason with owl:sameAs, under OWL rules (i.e under OWL modality), you have situated yourself within a universe, consisting of a set of possible worlds related to each other in a particular way (to cast it that way), in which the resources referenced really are the same resource in all relevant respects—where "relevant" means relevant to your considerations: considerations that are not part of OWL, but of which OWL inference rules are perforce a subset.

If you are in doubt whether you can buy into that, then you just shouldn't include those particular triples—or else not use OWL (out-of-the box, or perhaps at all) to reason. (Maybe "reason" some other way, maybe "manually" by using your noggin while inspecting the triples or some insight-provoking representation thereof.) Or better and in addition, you should simply consider the result of any OWL reasoning exercise as a kind of experiment—not "truth" simpliciter, but just a way of informing yourself about the implications of situating yourself within some set of possible worlds under OWL modality, given that you provisionally accept certain assertions as facts.

In my long-held opinion, where clinical records are concerned "local" and "(OWL-)relevant" would often mean pre-selecting a pretty darned small set of "wild-type" triples, by which I mean triples culled from sundry sources in the jungle of the Semantic Web: a few dozen? a few hundred? Maybe. Maybe more or less, depending on what it is you hope to accomplish when you press the fateful button labeled "INFER".

Of course, it's possible to fiat-define as many modal predicates as you want, and to use them to navigate through the jungle; but not to automagically reason with them. Fiat predicates like <asserts> (with domain e.g. foaf:Person and range e.g. trix:graph; thank you Jeremy) could very useful for pre-navigating among graph fragments to select the ones with which you care to populate your particular world(s).

John