From: Jeremy J Carroll [mailto:jjc@syapse.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 2:29 PM
To: Umutcan ŞİMŞEK
Cc: Kingsley Idehen; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

I did not find this a rookie question at all.

This seems to get to the heart of some of the real difficult issues in Semantic Web.

My perspective is different from yours, and a resource description that I author is a description of the resource from my perspective; a resource description that you author is a description from your perspective.

If I have some detailed application that depends in some subtle way on my description, I may want to ignore your version; on the other hand, a third party might want to use both of our points of view.

One way of tacking this problem is to have three graphs for this case:

Gj, Gu, G=

Gj contains triples describing my point of view Gu contains triples describing your point of view G= contains the owl:sameAs triples

Then, in some application contexts, we use Gj, sometimes Gu, and sometimes all three.

Jeremy