Re: [Update] Clinical Pharmacogenomics: RxNorm

Quick clarification.
RxNorm is several things in one box.
1) Everything tagged with the provenance SAB=RXNORM belongs to NLM and
is publicly available. This includes at least one normalized name and
code ("RxCUI") for each drug entity in scope. It also includes the
majority on NDCs.
2) Content integrated from a dozen external sources, with various
intellectual property restrictions (e.g., First DataBank). This content
is tagged with SAB=XXX (XXX != RXNORM) and may be restricted, according
to the terms of UMLS license agreement.
In practice, creating an RDF version the the content in 1) above would
violate the UMLS license agreement, as long as NLM is acknowledged as
the provider of the data. (This is in the same spirit the SAB=RXNORM
information is made available by NLM through RxNav and the RxNorm API
[http://rxnav.nlm.nih.gov/] without requiring UMLS credentials.)
Of course, versioning should be clearly labeled, as RxNorm is updated
weekly.
Hope this helps.

--
Dr. Olivier Bodenreider