Re: odML, open metadata markup language

From: Kerstin Forsberg <kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 19:09:15 +0100
To: Carole Goble <carole.goble@manchester.ac.uk>
Cc: Robert Stevens <robert.d.stevens@manchester.ac.uk>, public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, Susanna-Assunta Sansone <sa.sansone@gmail.com>
Hi Carole,

the open metaData Markup Language” (odML) is new for me. After reading
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3171061/ I can see a lot of
overlap with other initiatives on metadata describing properties/data
elements.Some example of other initiatives:

- FDA/PhUSE Semantic Technology project publishing RDF version of CDISC
standards. Using a small, basic meta model schema to represent clinical
data standards. See press release
http://semanticweb.com/phuse-cdisc-announce-draft-rdf-representation-existing-cdisc-data-standards/

- EU FP7 project SALUS project (Scalable, Standard based Interoperability
Framework for Sustainable Proactive Post Market Safety Studies) developed
an ontology for SemanticMDR https://github.com/srdc/semanticMDR/

- The Data Documentation Initiative (DDI) is an effort to create an
international standard for describing data from the social, behavioral, and
economic sciences,http://www.ddialliance.org/Specification/RDF

All three implements the ISO11179 Metadata registry models core data
description model.

In the same way as W3C HCLS and schema.org pull together Dataset
description initiatives I may think it would be good to connect initiatives
on Data Elements as the next level of granularity, i.e. Data Elements as
the types of data in the datasets. I hope to talk much more about this with
the HCLS folks at SWAT4LS next week

Kind Regards
Kerstin Forsberg
AstraZenenca