Re: owl:sameAs - Harmful to provenance?

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Michel Dumontier <michel.dumontier@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Nicely pointed out, TN.
>>
>> Thinking about "metadata" as some other category of data is usually a bad
>> sign. I've often found it to mean, in practice, "data I care less about".
>>
>> Phil, to make the case that RDF helps here, we would want to compare how
>> easy it is to do significant work using the ill-represented examples you
>> find versus raw text, versus xml, versus tab-delimited files.
>>
> While there is some limited benefit to getting rid of the surface syntax
>> problem, it's not clear how much of a problem that ever was.
>>
>> surely you're joking Mr. Ruttenberg!
>
> for anybody who has worked with more than one file format clearly
> understands the challenges and productivity death in dealing with multiple
> ad-hoc syntaxes that require specialized parsers (I assume you are familiar
> with this).

Quite. So I make the above statement as an expert in the field. Compared to
understanding what is asserted in a database, or resolving identifiers,
syntax is very easy.

> Bio2RDF primarily exists just to normalize syntax first (RDF), and then to
> ensure referential integrity second (naming).

I have little more to say about Bio2RDF.

>  Other projects can now take these normalized data and transform them into
> unifying schema and vocabulary (e.g. we use SIO to do this), and others
> (e.g. cytoscape, virtuoso, etc) can build tools to analyze and make pretty
> views of data.

Odd, that's what I though the semantic web was for.

  It's pretty clear to me that this effort is not a all or nothing
> proposition. Standardization and agreement at every level brings benefits,
> but it's a non-starter to wait for full agreement just as much as it's a
> non-starter for a small group of people to claim (and be solely recognized
> for) their "community" standard.

Like the PROV group, which I assume is what you are referring to ;-)

-Alan