RE: Our white paper on Semantic Node Labeling in Clinical models

Hi Peter,

I agree that extensional (closed world clinical models) and intentional
(SNOMED) models need a separate treatment. Developers (human)  or
reasoners (machine) need a mechanism to understand their boundary and
act appropriately. For example, below annotations in RED would help
developers to interpret their scope of use.

--OWL Manchester Syntax---

(1 ) DataProperty: effectiveTime

                Domain: ActLabObservation (*coming from HL7 RIM*)

                Range: xsd:dateTime

                Annotations: rdfs:label "local or extentional property"

(2) ObjectProperty: snomed:DirectSubstance

                Annotations: rdfs:label "Substance on which the lab
procedure method directly acts"

                Annotations: rdfs:label "global or intentional property"

SubPropertyChain:

                snomed:DirectSubstance o snomed:HasActiveIngredient

However,  annotations (or lables) are reasoner-insensitive, so the
separation and use of both type of models (extensional, intentional)  is
entirely on a developer's understanding.  IMO, to avoid "undesirable
inferences" by "mixing-up" these two types of models (extensional,
intentional), caution should be taken at a stage where alignments
(subclass, equivalentClass, etc.) are created between them.  Also, there
should be a guideline (for specific settings) about (1) when interfaces
are required (i.e., reasoners); and (2) when only querying (SPARQL) is
sufficient. This will help further on your proposal for SNL. Since long
there has been a discussion on this [1,2] in the Semantic Web Community,
still we need to see something concrete.

[1] B. Motik, I. Horrocks, R. Rosati, and U. Sattler, "Can OWL and Logic
Programming Live Together Happily Ever After?" in International Semantic
Web Conference, 2006, pp. 501-514. [Online]. Available:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/boris.motik/pubs/mhs06happily.pdf

[2] B. Motik, I. Horrocks, and U. Sattler, "Bridging the gap between OWL
and relational databases," J. Web

Sem., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 74-89, 2009. [Online]. Available:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ian.horrocks/Publications/download/2007/MoHS07a.p
df

Regards,

Ratnesh