Re: Question

Bassam,

Linked-data and the File-motif (CCD approach) are two approaches to data
publication and no matter which medium you choose, you will employ both
secure and open information. A statement like "Joe Smith was admitted to
UCLA Medical center” is wholly private but “UCLA Medical Center is in
Westwood, CA” is public Institution Data. “Joe Smith has Hypertension” is
private while “Hypertension means ʻfinding of high blood pressureʼ” is
public Concept data.

But when we publish a patientʼs data in a self-contained file like a
Continuity of Care document (CCD), this distinction is lost, all data is
private. What started in a silo, the disconnected EHR, remains in a silo,
the *self-contained file*. The address of UCLA is locked down as tightly as
Joe Smithʼs presence there and every CCD of every patient admitted to UCLA
will carry its address details. As for Joeʼs Hypertension, the diagnosis is
just a coded label or identifier which a CCD reader must decode - he must
know what Hypertension means.

Contrast this with a patient in the web-of-data, a *“linked patient”*.
Here, secured details of a patient would link to open data where-ever
possible. To say “UCLA address”, you use a link such as “
http://www.ucla.com/address”. A client would de-reference that URL to get
UCLAʼs address. A hypertension diagnosis would also be a link which in turn
could link out to more data, drug data from the FDA, guidelines from CMS,
on and on.

The key point is that a patientʼs secured details in linked-data is just
the starting point for accessing the increasing amount of open health data
being published, but a CCD is a dead-end. A linked-patient is published in
a context, the CCD, in trying to be self-contained, cuts itself off.

Conor

p.s. I wrote a little more about linked patients a while back in this
post.<http://www.caregraf.com/blog/what-is-a-caregraf>