Re: RDF Schema / LODD mapping -- Re: New proposal: health & medical extensions to schema.org

Indeed, the patient IS the person, just that if they stop being a patient,
they don't stop being that person. We have been looking very closely at
this in the provenance working group, since state changes figure very
prominently into the provenance of a thing. Ownership is an example of
that. We developed an instance-level abstraction mechanism, which we call
specialization [1], to handle this using specializationOf and alternateOf.
specializationOf is a way to assert a relationship between a resource that
represents more constrained aspects of another resource. I spoke about its
application to biomedicine at CSHALS this year [2], but please use the
definition from [1] for guidance since it underwent refinement recently.

[1]
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/prov-dm.html#component4
[2]
http://prezi.com/vbhpb4pp8bhu/the-biospecimen-repository-as-library-how-hela-is-like-moby-dick/