Re: RDF Schema / LODD mapping -- Re: New proposal: health & medical extensions to schema.org

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Aaron Brown <abbrown@google.com> wrote:

> Ok. But I still don't see why this needs to be specified explicitly.
> Otherwise, wouldn't it also be necessary to specify that a MedicalEntity is
> disjoint from a Movie, a SocialEvent, a DryCleaningOrLaundry, etc? It seems
> to get out of hand pretty quickly. For that matter, if someone wanted to
> extend the proposed schema by defining a Physician type that inherits from
> both Person and MedicalEntity, I think would be OK.

RDF and other semantic web standards allow for instances to have multiple
unrelated types. This is part of the Open World Assumption, and is a good
thing, since it allows us to discover classifications for things later on.
In order to create the same sort of single inheritance that one sees in,
for instance, Java, simply make each sibling under a given class disjoint
with all its other siblings. I would be reluctant to do that blindly,
though, as it can often result in modeling errors. For instance, Physicians
are not the same thing as Patients, but a Patient can also be a Physician.

Jim
--
Jim McCusker
Programmer Analyst