Re: RDF Schema / LODD mapping -- Re: New proposal: health & medical extensions to schema.org

On Tue May 22 00:15:04 GMT-400 2012, Renato Iannella <
ri@semanticidentity.com> wrote:

> On 22 May 2012, at 10:05, Aaron Brown wrote:
>
> The schema wasn't designed with that use case in mind -- it's focused on
> marking up public information on the web for search use cases, not for
> coding or exchange of clinical data. It might be extensible to a version of
> that use case, if complemented with requirements for use of well-defined
> coding systems tied to external enumerations (like ICD or Snomed, RxNorm,
> etc). But it'd probably be better to use a purpose-built representation for
> clinical data transfer, like HL7 CDA / CCD or CCR, coupled with a
> patient-readable form of the discharge notes; standards like these offer
> greater precision in the specification of clinical data.
>

> It would be useful to add this design constraint to the introduction (at
> the moment it says "The scope of this schema is broad…")

Sure. That comment was intended to be about the scope of entities covered,
not the scope of use, as I had assumed that folks would be looking at this
in the context of schema.org, which is about web markup. I'll clarify in my
next set of updates.

> And perhaps define MedicalEntity as disjoint from Person ;-)

Not sure I understand where the confusion is here...Person is a separate
type under Thing, so they should be disjoint by definition.

Thanks!

--Aaron