Re: Computers may predict drugs' side effects

     Hello

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Lin MD, Simon
<LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu> wrote:
> Hi Joanne,
>
> Thank you for sharing this topic with the group! For discussion, I am attaching the manuscript and a related review article.

  Yes, thanks for sharing, very interesting!

> Generally, the prediction models work well in this problem domain (-- If not, the discipline of medicinal chemistry would not exist).
>
> The bottleneck is the availability of large scale data: chemical structure, drug target, protein-protein interaction, indications, know side effects, etc.

  Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to simulate, for a given
chemical structure:

  - which proteins (or other bio-molecules) it interacts with
  - how that interaction changes the function of the bio-molecule
  - how changed function of molecules change biological networks and
systemic function

  However, what the article says sounds more limited:

  "... a database of 73 proteins ..."

> As such, Open Linked Data might offer help!

  Eventually.

     Take care
     Oliver

--