Re: Evidence of Significance of Semantic Web for Life Sciences

Thanks to Amit and Amrapali for circulating the article

The impression I get is that at least the pharma industry is at a positive
tipping point with SW. Previously, there was a lot of skepticism that SW
could actually be useful. However, it's now quite straightforward, using
tools like TopBraid, to answer questions with the data that would have been
difficult or impossible without SW technologies (basically RDF/SPARQL
searching with a nice interface), and it only takes one "quick win" to
convince people of the utility. Unfortunately these quick wins don't
usually get published, but I think there is now a mounting body of
published work pointing to the effectiveness of SW in the life sciences in
general (as referenced in our paper)

I'm hopeful that this will open the door for some of the more advanced
representations and algorithms that are coming out of academic groups.

Regarding computational biology, I think it depends on the particular area
of research but in general I have found computational biologists open to SW
methods as a "means to an end".

David

Dr. David J. Wild, djwild@indiana.edu, http://djwild.info
Assistant Professor of Informatics & Computing
Director, Cheminformatics & Chemogenomics Research Group
http://iuccrg.wordpress.com
Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing
150 S. Woodlawn Rm 330B, Bloomington, IN 47405
Tel. +1 812 856 1848