Re: seeks input on Study Data Exchange Standards An alternative approach

Well now you're going to make me admit more.
Although we are hoping to move to a RIM like clinical statement like SMIRF
 (SMall Isolated RIM Fixed Model) as our enterprise clinical model, what
most of our data is really in, ins Epic.
Which of course is a proprietary E.H.R. system and is of course an
"extensional" model.

Now the drop down boxes where physicians pick diagnoses for example, are
populated with local codes and local terms.  This is because doctors in
general want to see the words they like, and not the "preferred name" of
SNOMED or ICD9.

We maintain via our CMT (Convergent Medical Terminology) system a back end
infrastructure.  CMT not only populates the Epic "master files" that
determine what the user sees on the GUI but we also maintain all the
mappings in a background database.  All of our local terms for procedures
and diagnosis are mapped to SNOMED.  Our drugs are mapped to First
Databank and I'm thinking probably also RxNorm.

So our whole system is at base, extensional based on Epic.  But, since we
have diagnosis and procedures mapped to SNOMED, it give us an ability to
use subsumption when ever we need to come up with a list of diagnosis or
procedures for populating work flows, preference lists or even quality
reporting or outcomes research.

We don't use any intensional ontology tricks in the "model".  We hope to
eventually mirror our data in an HL7 RIM based SMIRF model.

But as it is now, the only ontology we map to in SNOMED, and pretty much
the only reasoning we do is with the Clinical Findings and Procedures.

That said, it is a heck of a lot more useful and powerful than just using
lexical searches to find these result sets.

Your issues about all the different ways you can divide a CCD (which is an
HL7 RIM based structure) into it's RIM OO part and the SNOMED part are
true issues that are not resolved.

I may have opinions on how I'd do it, but there are no agreed ways to
converge on, and it would be hard to even state the rules if you were to
come up with a single way.

The choice might be influenced by the actual model the E.H.R. system uses.
If it has expected places for your "strawberry" then you would put it
there, but if it doesn't you'd push it into a vocabulary space or even a
post coordinated SNOMED expression.  But that's not an issue I want to
tackle now.

I'd be happy to have people agree in the simple cases of a simple Dx, to
use SNOMED in the "code" slot of the Observation, and label that node as
being safe to use a SNOMED reasoner over the Clinical Findings hierarchy.
This doesn't answer all the questions or cover all the things you need to
do.  But it covers a heck of a lot of important cases, and it's simple and
confined and easy.  An it might get many healthcare organisations started
for the first time using any kind of subsumption or reasoning at all,
without overwhelming them.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.

Conor Dowling <conor-dowling@caregraf.com>
08/22/2012 09:34 AM

Peter Hendler/CA/KAIPERM@KAIPERM
cc
david@dbooth.org, helena.deus@deri.org, kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com,
LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu, meadch@mail.nih.gov,
mscottmarshall@gmail.com, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org,
ratnesh.sahay@deri.org
Subject
Re: seeks input on Study Data Exchange Standards An alternative approach

Peter,

how does Kaiser decide what level of coordination to use? Let me take
RxNORM - do you use that for drugs? - does your OO/model record dosage,
route etc or is that coordinated in the "what"? For SNOMED, do you stay
clear of coordinated allergies (Allergic to Strawberries") and use two
model fields 'Allergy' and (substance = strawberry) or do you use as much
SNOMED coordination as you can? I suppose I'm asking, for each concept
scheme, does Kaiser have a "profile" where you decide on coordination vs
what's in the "model"?

I had to do a lot of CCD stuff last year (opinion: a big messed up, going
no-where hack) where the split of "model"/xml tags and terminologies/codes
was never set and so you can lean on a terminology or the "model"/xml tags
(see post). This is where I see the value in the split of concept scheme
and clinical care vocabulary. It's not closed/open per se but in guidance
or at least explicit recognition of multiple choices for expression beyond
the obvious who-where-when.