Re: Ontology(ies) for health / disease / behaviour questionnaires?

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Dan Bolser <dan.bolser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong forum for such a general question, but I
> figure that people on this list should be able to advise...
>
> I want to build a site to allow people to create, share, and complete
> 'health related' questionnaires. For example, a 'healthy eating'
> questionnaire, an 'allergy' questionnaire, or an 'exercise'
> questionnaire.
>
> This is obviously a very complex knowledge domain to model, but I'm
> guessing there are several ontologies out there that cover at least
> some of the terms and values involved?
>
> What can you suggest?
>
> The idea is that the user creates questions like 'cups of coffee per
> week', 'grams of caffeine per day', 'hours of exercise per week', or
> 'how often do you go jogging on average: once a day, once a week,
> etc', etc.

so 'cups of coffee per week' is a rate of consumption, which could be
captured by an OWL class expression using SIO's relations (but the types
are made up)

'reported cups of coffee per week'
equivalentTo:
 'rate'
 'has value' some "X"^^owl:real
 'has unit' some 'cup per week'
 and 'is measurement value of' some 'consumption of coffee'

where 'consumption of coffee'
equivalentTo
 'consumption'
 and 'has input' some 'coffee'

m.

--
Michel Dumontier
Associate Professor of Bioinformatics, Carleton University