  From: Robert Stanley
  To: Amit Sheth ; public-semweb-lifesci
  Cc: Luciano, Joanne Sylvia
  Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:54 AM
  Subject: RE: Evidence of Significance of Semantic Web for Life Sciences - a couple of more examples

  Nice comment Amit.

  Many HCLS / systems biology and precision medicine use cases move from theoretically possible but not practically achievable (note historically failed or "re-aligned" HCLS information sharing and disease surveillance standards), to efficiently achievable using semantic technologies.

  In case you hadn't seen it already (I hope I didn't already send this!):

  R. Stanley, B. McManus, R. Ng, E. Gombocz, J. Eshleman, C. Rockey:"Case Study: Applied Semantic Knowledgebase for Detection of Patients at Risk of Organ Failure through Immune Rejection" Joint Case Study of IO Informatics and University British Columbia (UBC), NCE CECR PROOF Centre of Excellence, James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 29, 2011
  W3C Semantic Web Use Cases and Case Studies < http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/IOInformatics/ >

  Here is another example that significantly benefitted by application of semantic tools and methods

  T.N. Plasterer, R. Stanley, E. Gombocz: "Correlation Network Analysis and Knowledge Integration" In: "Applied Statistics for Network Biology: Methods in Systems Biology", M. Dehmer, F. Emmert-Streib, A. Graber, A. Salvador (Eds.) Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, ISBN: 978-3-527-32750-8 (2011)

  You may find other useful references here:

  http://www.io-informatics.com/news/articles.html

  All the best,

  Bob Stanley

  IO Informatics