Re: Quantified Self -- Amsterdam -- November 26-27

Folks expressed interest in the "Quantified Self Movement" today on the
Scientific Discourse call and I thought that the a brief summary of the
group (below) might be of interest. Much of the data donated by
"quantified selfers" is available on Twitter, Facebook, and other social
websites. So, there is sure to be some creative ways to involved these
folks in research.
The write up was done by a student in my lab over the summer, so some
information has likely changed.

kind regards,
-Rich Boyce

-----

"Quantified Self Movement"

The Quantified Self Movement is a generation of people who are
dedicating their lives to using technology when dealing with their
health. Various tracking devices allow them to share their results with
the other group members. This in turn motivates them to keep on track
with their own health plans and support others with their plans. This
niche group of people, in their 20s and 30s and mostly male, believe
that tracking details about their everyday health patterns can help them
make better health choices [1]. Some are fitness buffs, some are simply
techno-geeks, and others are plagued by chronic conditions. They all
have a similar interest however, in using numerous technological devices
to track and map out their health all in the hopes of improving their
well-being.

This group of people tend to be educated, middle-class citizens who can
both afford and understand these devices. They have the curiosity and
drive to take control of their own health without doctors and insurance
co-pays, They are researchers, programmers, engineers and health
professionals. Many got interested in the movement because they
themselves were using a device to track some component about their
health [1]. They are not embarressed to share health information with
others as a potential long-term goal of the movement is to sync data
with larger, centralized databases that may be used for research. The
movement has its own website and set of followers who may go to meetings
and blog as a way to keep in touch with others [2]. It is a growing
movement with followers from many different backgrounds who are each
looking to get something different out of tracking their health. In the
end, this is what will improve their health and their lifestyle.

There are many devices which members follow. There are currently 446
tools listed on the Quantified Self movement's guide [3]. These range
from free website tools to those costing upward of $100. They all have
reviews from members which is an important part of the movement, what
worked for some might not work for others. For example, FitBit tracks
all physical activity during the day or night and then syncs up with a
computer to upload the various data. It's price is $99.95 and users can
blog about various uses on the website itself [4]. Another example of a
device is MoodScope, a free app available for your smart phone. It
tracks your mood using a card game and updates can be sent to friends
through emails which can help ones mood in itself [5].

1. http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/37784/

2. http://quantifiedself.com

3. http://quantifiedself.com/guide/

4. http://www.fitbit.com/

5. _http://www.moodscope.com_

--
Richard Boyce, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics