Re: HCLS chartering/next steps Thur 26 May

Hi,

long thread... I'm answering to this post, but I have read through it down
(at least to some point, I'm offline now).

two things:

- as for marketing and engagement of outside community, I'm not sure having
technological-oriented task forces is that bad. Sure BioRDF and LODD are
confusing, because they are names which relates to something largely unknown
outside the group. But if you have task forces on, say, biodatabases,
biostatistics, ... they may look more scientific already. It's a question of
mapping them to more established "scientific related fields".

- to get back to my original post, how many people on this list would be
interested in environmental/agricultural/ecological data ?

ciao,
Andrea

Il giorno 26/mag/2011, alle ore 15.16, Mark ha scritto:

> On Thu, 26 May 2011 06:55:07 -0700, Tim Clark
> <twclark@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> I would lose the solution-based Task Groups and reformulate them as
>> problem-based.
>>
>> for example, BioRDF has been working on gene lists for transcriptomic
>> experiments, we might recharter that Task Group to work on Genomic
>> Experiments, for example, or whatever concept area the Task members like

>> and is a logical step from what they are doing now, but with a PROBLEM
>> FOCUS ... you see the point.
>

> I agree with Tim 100% on this.  There are "subtle underlying benefits" to

> this approach that I'm quite sensitive to at the moment.  In particular,
> since many of us are academics, it is important to look "scientific", as
> opposed to having the appearance of being engineers or software
> developers.  Centering the groups around problems puts us firmly back on
> academic ground, and makes it easier for us to live our academic lives in

> peace :-)  (and easier to get money from research-funding agencies)
>
> Mark

Andrea Splendiani
Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Centre for Mathematical and Computational Biology
+44(0)1582 763133 ext 2004
andrea.splendiani@bbsrc.ac.uk