Reminder -- Elsevier/Tetherless World Health and Life Sciences Hackathon June 27 and 28.

Apologies for cross posting and please forward to interested parties...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jacky Carley <carlej@cs.rpi.edu>
> Date: June 24, 2011 10:34:04 AM EDT
> To: csdept@cs.rpi.edu
> Subject: [csdept] Elsevier/Tetherless World Health and Life Sciences Hackathon June 27 and 28.
>
> Announcing: Elsevier/Tetherless World Health and Life Sciences
> Hackathon (27-28 June 2011)
> Website:<http://tw.rpi.edu/web/event/TWCElsevierHackathonJune2011>
> When: June 27-28 2011
> Location: Pat's Barn, Rensselaer Technology Park, Troy, NY
>
> Create apps; Win Prizes!
>
> The Tetherless World Constellation at RPI<http://tw.rpi.edi>  is
> excited to announce that TWC and Elsevier's SciVerse Developer Network
> will be holding a 24-hour Health and Life Sciences Semantic Web
> Hackathon 27-28 June 2011. The Elsevier-sponsored event will be held
> at the beautiful Pat's Barn<http://bit.ly/fgGFLR>  on the campus of
> the Rensselaer Technology Park in Troy, NY.
>
> Participants will compete with each other to develop apps using linked
> data from TWC and other sources, web APIs from Elsevier SciVerse, and
> visualization and other resources from around the Web.
>
> Event website:http://tw.rpi.edu/web/event/TWCElsevierHackathonJune2011
> Registration at:http://twcsciverse2011.eventbrite.com/
>
> Prizes
> The contest will encompass building apps utilizing the SciVerse API
> and other resources in multiple categories, including Health and Life
> Sciences and Open classes. Overall, there will be three winners:
> * First place: $1500
> * Second place: $1000
> * Third place: $500
>
> Judging
> A distinguished panel of judges has assembled that includes domain
> experts, faculty and senior representatives from Elsevier: Bios to
> follow soon!
>
> * Paolo Ciccarese (Scientist and Senior Software Engineer, Mass
> General Hospital; Faculty, Harvard Medical School)
> * Chris Baker (Research Chair, Innovatia)
> * Bob Powers (Semantics Engineer, Consultant at Predictive Medicine)
> * M. Scott Marshall (Department of Medical Statistics and
> Bioinformatics, Leiden University Medical Center)
> * Ora Lassila (Principal Technologist, Nokia; co-author of the W3C RDF
> specification)
> * Elizabeth Brooks (Head of Computing&  IT, UHI, Scotland)
> * Hajo Oltmanns (Elsevier: SVP Health Sciences Strategy)
> * Scott Virkler (Elsevier: SVP e-Products Global Medical Research)
> * Helen Moran (Elsevier: VP Smart Content Strategy)
>
> Program
> Hackathon schedule and agenda:
> http://tw.rpi.edu/web/event/TWCElsevierHackathonJune2011/Program
>
> Refreshments
> All attendees will be provided lunch, dinner, and midnight snack on 27
> June and breakfast and lunch on 28 June.
>
> Travel Assistance
> A small amount of travel assistance will be made available for
> students and non-profits on a competitive basis. Please see our Travel
> [...]

Joanne S. Luciano, PhD                            Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Research Associate Professor                 110 8th Street, Winslow 2143
Tetherless World Constellation                Troy, NY 12180, USA
Department of Computer Science            Email: jluciano@cs.rpi.edu
Office Tel. +1.518.276.4939                         Global Tel. +1.617.440.4364 (skypeIn)