RE: best practice relation for linking to image/machine-opaque docs? biomedical use case

> In Health Care and Life Science domains, image data is a common form
> of data under discussion so a best practice for referring to an image
> or to an (extractable) feature *within* an image would cover a
> fundamental need in biomedicine to point to 'raw' data as evidence (as
> well as giving meaning to the raw data!).
>
> A clinical example from breast cancer:
> There is a scan that produces an image that contains features referred
> to by the radiologist as 'microcalcifications', which can be
> indicative of the presence of a tumor.
>
> I can think of a few scenarios that would refer to the image data
> (mammogram). There are probably more:
> 1) The radiology report (in RDF) asserts the presence of
> microcalcifications and refers to the entire image as evidence.
> 2) The radiology report (in RDF) asserts the presence of
> microcalcifications and refers to the entire image as evidence, along
> with a image processing/feature extraction program that will highlight
> the phenomenon in the image.
> 3) The radiology report (in RDF) asserts the presence of
> microcalcifications and refers to a specific region in the image as
> evidence using some function of a 2D coordinate system such as
> polyline.
>
> The question: How can we refer to the microcalcifications as an
> indication of a certain type of tumor in each case 1, 2, and 3 in RDF?

Hi Scott,
  Fun! There's undoubtedly a number of ways that this can be done, but we (e.g. for Bio2RDF and SADI projects) would do it as follows using the Semanticscience Integrated Ontology (SIO):

http://semanticscience.org/ontology/sio.owl

Simplified using (dash for space) labels and : for entities in the local namespace...

1)
:radiology-report rdf:type sio:document
:radiology-report sio:contains :mammogram
:mammogram rdf:type sio:image
:mammogram sio:describes :microcalcification
:microcalcification rdf:type SNOMED:12747003

2)
:mammogram sio:has-component-part :region
:region rdf:type sio:site
:region sio:created-by :software-program  # another relation, such as identified-by may be necessary here
:software-program rdf:type sio:software-application
:region sio:represents :microcalcification
:region sio:has-attribute :feature-identification-confidence
:feature-identification-confidence rdf:type sio:quantity
:feature-identification-confidence sio:has-value "90"
:feature-identification-confidence sio:has-unit unit:percent_unit

3)
:region sio:has-boundary sio:polyline
:polyline sio:has-component-part sio:line-segment
:line-segment sio:has-component-part :start-point
:line-segment sio:has-component-part :end-point
:start-point sio:has-location :x-coordinate-1
:start-point sio:has-location :y-coordinate-1
:x-coordinate-1 rdf:type sio:x-cartesian-coordinate
:y-coordinate-1 rdf:type sio:y-cartesian-coordinate
:x-coordinate-1 sio:has-value "x1 "
:y-coordinate-1 sio:has-value "y1 "
:end-point sio:has-location :x-coordinate-2
:end-point sio:has-location :y-coordinate-2
:x-coordinate-2 rdf:type sio:x-cartesian-coordinate
:y-coordinate-2 rdf:type sio:y-cartesian-coordinate
:x-coordinate-2 sio:has-value "x2 "
:y-coordinate-2 sio:has-value "y2 "

While the coordinate data is verbose, it is quite extensible (one can annotate the points with other information such as colours or values, and we can use different position systems e.g. polar coordinates. This representation is in line with that used in our molecular surface project, which implements a SADI service interface http://semanticscience.org/projects/mosumo/index.html

Cheers!

m.