From: Helena Deus
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:16 PM
To: Oliver Ruebenacker
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci
Subject: Re: Evidence of Significance of Semantic Web for Life Sciences

Hi Oliver,

Related example:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/337088/title/Network_analysis_predicts_drug_side_effects?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

“To clear some of the haze surrounding side effects, scientists from Harvard Medical School and Children’s Hospital Boston created a network linking 809 medications to 852 side effects that were known as of 2005. The team also added information to their network on chemical properties, such as the drug’s melting point and molecular weight, and where the drug does its stuff in the body. Using these data and relationships alone, the computer predicted side effects that were reported in later years, such as the seizure drug zonisamide causing suicidal thoughts in some people and the antibiotic norfloxacin’s link to ruptured tendons. It also linked the controversial diabetes drug Avandia (rosiglitazone) to heart attacks, a connection that is supported by some research.”

Although this was not achieved using the LODD cloud or semantic web technologies, it illustrates the same type of network analysis that we are trying to enable for linked life sciences and health care data.

Best,
Lena