Re: Bio2RDF meeting

Dear friends and colleagues,

  We will be holding a teleconference call to discuss the current status and
future directions for a more community-driven Bio2RDF project. Due to the
global distribution of our members, the first call will be at 7AM EST on
Tuesday September 6.  Teleconference details can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/3fxa5zx

Agenda
1. Introductions
2. Mission Statement
3. Scope of Bio2RDF
4. Related Efforts
5. Discussion Items
6. Task Forces
7. Next Meetings

Our first meeting will therefore introduce us to interested parties, provide
us with an overview of the project and set the stage for future discussions.
Feel free to edit the teleconference document to add items you would like to
see discussed in future meetings  (send me your email if you can't edit the
document).

Looking forward to speaking with you next week!

m.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Michel Dumontier <
michel.dumontier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Bio2RDF is a world-renown project for providing RDF-based linked life
science data. Started as a graduate student project many years ago and
augmented by a number of contributors, it continues to offer many features
that are simply non-existent in other related projects. However, with
growing interest, there is a need to consider the future of this project,
and how we can get it to the point that it is even more functional,
extensible and reliable.  Doing so is unrealistic for any one individual,
but is possible with an engaged community that wants to see the project
succeed to its fullest potential.
> With this in mind, I would like to call an open meeting for the Bio2RDF
community to discuss issues surrounding the current implementation of
Bio2RDF, and where we should head as an open source community. We will
document concerns and create task forces to first identify potential
solutions and then develop these solutions.  In addition, we will think
about a global funding strategy involving academic, governmental and
commercial partners and attempt to craft viable funding applications.

> Please fill out the following doodle poll - I will announce the date/time
on Monday August 29.
> http://www.doodle.com/4peu9d9euef35e3s
> Let us breathe new life into a project that we can all take ownership in,
and create an even greater resource for biomedical science. Looking forward
to hearing from you!

--
Michel Dumontier
Associate Professor of Bioinformatics