Re: What OWL cant do

I believe Robert correctly analyzed the situation, and I am not sanguine about prospects for "determining equivalence" of any "expressions" that use RIM or SNOMED "codes" inside some kind of OWL-like syntax.

Two expressions "are equivalent" in OWL/RDF if they denote sets that have the same members (same extension) in all models.

SNOMED is not designed and built to support especially informative answers in reasoning of that kind "out-of-the box", i.e. it is underspecified  for that kind of reasoning. I don't know as much about the RIM, but I suspect the same is true of it.

This relates to several features of SNOMED.

One is that SNOMED (intentionally) does not specify a particular "information model". What that means (in part) is that SNOMED does not take an "official" stance as to whether a SNOMED "concept" denotes a set (RDF/OWL-speak: rdfs/owl:Class) of individuals (OWL-speak: instances), and (if so) what those instances might be. Rather, SNOMED intentionally leaves that decision up to implementers. Some implementers might choose to interpret any particular SNOMED concept as not being a class/set at all; some might interpret it as being an rdfs:Class; some might interpret as being an owl:Class; some might interpret it as being a class/set in some non-OWL language (e.g. in some particular relational database algebra). Put differently, the meaning of SNOMED is_A is (intentionally) underspecified from the RDF/OWL perspective.

A second feature is that even if two implementers agree on the interpretation of each and every SNOMED concept with respect to whether they are in fact owl:Classes, and what the OWL meaning of their is_A relations to each other are, this still doesn't mean that they necessarily agree what the real-world nature of the instances of these classes are. For example, take the SNOMED code for "influenza". If that code be identified with an owl:Class of "somethings", what are those "somethings"? Clinically-identified cases of influenza? Variants of the disease "influenza"? All cases of influenza virus infection whether diagnosed or not? There is actually no single "correct" answer. To get an answer, you propose an information model, and you specify it. SNOMED intentionally leaves that part up to you.

Third, OWL allows a rich set of logical axioms to be specified on classes, including disjointness relations, restrictions on properties of various kinds, etc. SNOMED intentionally does not come with very many such class relations modeled "out-of-the-box". Therefore, even if #1 and #2 were out of the way, without such explicitly specified class relations, an OWL reasoner wouldn't have a lot to work with. Dean Allmenang likes to say that "it's hard to say anything *false* in RDFS". Out-of-the-box, SNOMED is modeled at a level of axiomatic explicitness that somewhat resembles typical RDFS. From the perspective of an OWL reasoner, there just isn't a lot there to get traction on. I venture to say that many, many, many "expressions" comprised of SNOMED codes embedded inside some sort of OWL-like syntax -- expressions whose lexical representations (using SNOMED preferred labels, say) you and I might subjectively respond to as expressing "clinically quite different" things -- would be logically indistinguishable to an OWL reasoner provided just with a T-box consisting of some or another version of some kind of "OWL-SNOMED out-of-the-box".