Re: additional reminder: HCLS Scientific Discourse concall, Autumn 2010 planning session

Hi All,

V. interesting call today and the first I have managed to attend - a
shame it ended when it did!
I was patiently waiting to raise a point so will do so here in the
hope that it can incorporated into future discussion.

I wanted to raise the Research Objects [1] work that is currently
mentioned fleetingly in the Data, Discourse and Experiment task on the
wiki.

It is jointly worked upon by colleagues here at Manchester (Carole
Goble et al), Southampton and now Oxford (David De Roure) with the aim
of creating reuseable and exchangeable electronic scientific artefacts.
Grounded in the Open Archives Initiatives Object Reuse and Exchange
(OAI-ORE) model [2] and taking a Linked Data approach, it is an
attempt to create identifiable aggregations of web resources
collecting all 'Things' that are part of an investigation eg. people,
data, discourse, workflows etc.

There is an upper ontology which is emerging from collaborative
projects that are running with the idea including myexperiment.org,
methodbox.org and CLAHRC (a large collaboration between the University
of Manchester and the National Health Service).

The work is also reference in the Biomedical Article of the Future
section of the task where it is of course most relevant. I hope it
could form the foundations of the task and it would be great to
discuss Research Objects at some point in the future.

The second thread I wish to raise is one related to Provenance and
especially with introducing Data in 'Discourse, Data and Experiment',
what others consider the scope for alignment with a provenance
ontology such as OPM? My personal interest is in the assessment of
quality and trust in online collaborative scientific data so
provenance information is of the utmost importance.

I look forward to future calls.

All the best,
Matthew

[1] http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2010/Proceedings/FWCS2010/05/Paper5.pdf