Re: [BioRDF] Comments from Christoph Grabmuller on BioRDF microarray provenance

Interesting question and one we've been discussing in other contexts.
HGNC is only valid for human genes of course, and not all species have
this type of sign off on ids. I would use an Ensembl id, from there you
can get other id cross references

best

Helen

On 10/11/2010 10:24, Christoph Grabmuller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM, mdmiller<mdmiller53@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> this i've seen as more a de facto best practice than anything for
>> identifying a sequence (but i'm not sure what you mean by a standard input
>> format).
> I meant: what are valid and/or (minimally) required ways to refer to a
> gene? Is it enough to just give the HGNC symbol? Could I instead just
> use entrez or ensembl ids?

Helen Parkinson, PhD
Team Leader
Functional Genomics Group