Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:28:58 +0100
To: "Matthias Samwald" <samwald@gmx.at>
Cc: "Oliver Ruebenacker" <curoli@gmail.com>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>, "public-semweb-lifesci" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
"Matthias Samwald" <samwald@gmx.at> writes:
> To use a (still quite naive) physics example: 'Temperature' is a quality of an
> object (say, a solution in a petri dish). This quality only inheres in the
> solution, but not in a single molecule.

I think this is wrong; temperature can be applied to a single molecule.
If my physics has not disserted me, I think it can also be applied to a
vacuum; i.e. a bit of space with nothing in it.

> Rates of change could be described as qualities of qualities (I think
> the top-level ontology DOLCE allows this, but it would be difficult in
> BFO, for example).

It can't be done in BFO, as qualities can't have qualities. You'd have
to describe the rate of change as a quality of the thing; so both
velocity and acceleration would be qualities of a continuant that is
moving over time.

> Reaction equations describe stochastic processes, that's why you can
> have non-integer molecule numbers

I think you can't have non-integer molecule numbers because it makes
no chemical sense. Half a molecule is a whole molecule of a different
kind.

Phil